Whois Lookup on my domain

powerless 22:08 25 Oct 04

OK, I just did a Whois on my domain name and there in full view is my FULL name, address, telepone number, email address...

As I am not selling anything, holding any data, Can I delete the details?

Or is it a requirement for such details to be available?

Sir Radfordin 09:53 26 Oct 04

If you are not using the domain for commerical purposes then you can choose to opt-out and then your detials will not be shown. 1&1 give you this option from their control panel to do this so I would speak to whoever you registered the domain with.

D-Frame 11:11 26 Oct 04

If you registered a .uk domain (.co.uk, .org.uk ect...) then you should have had a letter from NOMINET, if so you can disable your WHOIS listings on there website...

edee66 11:34 04 Nov 04

I did the same on this and was shocked at the personal detail which can be accessed. When I queried it I was told that only .uk domains give privacy. A bit late when I have just purchased a .org and they won't allow me to change it (without paying again).

steve263000 12:28 08 Nov 04

I have just done my own search, and there I am in all my glory, full name address, phone number etc. What a *&%% cheek!

steve263000 04:40 10 Nov 04

I have a domain name registered with click here When I queried the whois after reading this piece, they told me they could hide my details by using a service they supply. That would make my email address hidden by using a random email address that web crawlers could not use. The charge is $10 a year, about £6, which I thought reasonable to hide from some of the spammers. I suppose it is up to those of us that us the "dot com" world to decide if paying to hide your details is worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac