Who would recommened the GeForce 7300GS

Jimmyh 09:02 28 Feb 06

This computer uses it which I'm thinking about getting. As im on a budget.

What does it mean by this?
512MB DDR2 nVIDIA GeForce 7300GS - TV out- DVI - PCI X (256Mb SMA)

click here

gudgulf 09:21 28 Feb 06

Review of 7300GS click here

"What does it mean by this?
512MB DDR2 nVIDIA GeForce 7300GS - TV out- DVI - PCI X (256Mb SMA)"

I think what that means is the pc has 512Mb DDR2 RAM and the graphics card can use 256Mb.The thing to be carefull about is the 7300 uses shared memory...ie it has very little onboard memory and instead uses the system RAM.....Nvidia claims this is a way of getting a better specification of graphics card for the money.

If the graphics is capable of using up to 256MB that will only leave 256MB for windows and any games you run.

I believe the card is good for a budget card but whilst it supports all the latest features....like HDR lighting, it is really not powerfull enough to run them.

And you will need to double the amount of RAM to 1GB otherwise you will get performance slowdowns if gaming.

Jimmyh 09:28 28 Feb 06

If you click the link, u'll see the pc has 1gb of memory.

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor
Genuine Windows® XP Home
ASUS A8N_VM PCI- X Mainboard
1GB DDR400 Memory
200GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
512MB Nvidia 7300GS PCI-X Graphics
19" DVI Flat Panel TFT Display
Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer

gudgulf 09:44 28 Feb 06

My apologies.........that would suggest the card has 256Mb onboard and can use up to another 256Mb of the system RAM.

You will be fine with that.

Here's another review click here

Within that is the following:

"Initially, you will be able to buy the 7300 GS with either 128MB or 256MB of on-board DDR2 memory - a far cry the 6200 TurboCache's 32MB / 64MB initial configurations. Much like the GeForce 6200, the GeForce 7300 GS utlilises TurboCache technology, and will use a certain amount of system RAM to offer a larger frame buffer."

It's safe to say that your card will be a 256Mb onboard DDR2 memory model.

At the sort of settings it will run games at it will be very unlikely to use all of the 256Mb.Put the 512Mb quoted down to "Marketing"

Jimmyh 10:13 28 Feb 06

ok thanks for that, an interesting read.

As a system overall would it be a good choice, would it make much difference if having 2gb of system memory on that spec?

gudgulf 10:41 28 Feb 06

For a reasonably priced pc that seems good......plenty of power and upgradable as funds allow.

It supports dual core processors and is already powerful enough to make good use of a 7800GTX so plenty of potential.

As for 2GB of RAM......no need unless you put in a top end graphics card such as the 7800GT or better.Even then it only helps with certain games and when using the highest settings.More and more games are going to need a machine with 2GB of RAM in the near future though so I would put this a the second priority upgrade after a graphics card boost.

More reading reguarding RAM amount click here

Jimmyh 15:09 28 Feb 06

Does any one know if you can hook up a crt monitor to this gfx card or is it only DVI connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5