If I push the extreme left button;
the screen curls, momentarily
showing all colours--including red.

But in all ordinary programmes,
there is no red hues at all.

Seagate computer.
windows xp professional edition.

€dstowe 06:55 26 Dec 07

This sounds like a poor connection either with the cabling to the monitor or within the monitor itself.

Check that the cables to the monitor (both ends) are fully pushed home. If that doesn't fix it then it is probably inside the monitor and there is not much you can do yourself - a trip to a repair shop.

Just as a final check, though. Are you able to try another monitor?

Gongoozler 07:07 26 Dec 07

Most often this problem is caused by a broken conductor in the cable. If the cable has a connector both ends, try replacing it. Occasionally it is caused by a fault in the monitor itself, and repairing it would cost much more than the monitor is worth. The problem can also be caused by a faulty graphics card, so unless this is integrated into the motherboard you could try removing and reseating it - but there aren't many graphics card faults that would result in the loss of one colour.

Dick9 20:17 26 Dec 07

I have tried exchanging monitors. My other monitor works perfectly on either computer.
It must be the fault of the monitor.

But why, when pushing the buttons on the bottom,
why does it then, and only then,show the red?

Gongoozler 07:24 27 Dec 07

Hi Dick9. It depends on the function of the button you are referring to. If the button causes the electron beam to change its path to the face of the CRT, such as the degaussing button, then a beam for another colour may hit the red phosphor. This will give you red colour even if the red channel is defunct. This diagram may make this a bit clearer click here.

Gongoozler 07:29 27 Dec 07

Sorry Dick9, that link takes you to the Google image result page. This one takes you straight to the page, and the diagram is about 1/3 of the way down the page, titled CATHODE RAY TUBE. click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5