Who pays postage for warranty repairs

MARSZ 18:39 02 Mar 03

I recently had to return a faulty hard-drive
back to the supplier (twice) for repair.
The h/d came with 3 year warranty & the supplier
is adamant that i am responsible for postage &
packing costs,is this correct or should they bear
the costs

Rtus 18:47 02 Mar 03

Ive always paid to get it to them They then pay to return it..However When Ive had a Case of The same Drive being faulty shortly after return .They have refunded /Or compensated (bigger drive model being returned) BUT Its down to the suppliers standard practice.It should give terms on the warranty form..

Taran 18:55 02 Mar 03

I've had the same experience as Rtus.

Seagate, last time I used the warranty service (about two years ago now) required me to pay for delivery to them, but they paid for the return journey of the new replacement drive.

It's relatively inexpensive and for future reference, most local PC shops will be happy enough to give you a suitable padded hard disk box to return the drive to the supplier.

I personally don't think it's unreasonable to pay for the delivery of a replaced item. It may have helped had this been made clear from the outset though.

Forum Editor 19:19 02 Mar 03

you are sending the drive to the maker for evaluation. You think it's faulty, and I'm sure it is, but the maker has to determine whether it's a manufacturing fault, or the result of something you've done.

In those circumstances I would expect to pay the outbound postage, and for the manufacturer to pay to return the drive. You could always ask them to refund your postage in the event that they make the repair under warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…