Who make the best quality hard drives?

MaffPink 21:33 27 Jan 03

hi,
i'm getting a new computer and soon and i need to know who make the best hard drives. Who is better IBM or Western Digital?

Thankyou

Elrond 21:40 27 Jan 03

OUt of them two, from what i've heard on here IBM's are not very reliable so maybe wesyern digital. However i've always been impressed with maxtor and there's also Seagate.

mikeyb59 21:52 27 Jan 03

No doubt this will raise howls of protest, but...

...having had problems with Maxtor drives failing I now run two Seagate 40Gb drives with no problems.

You pays your money etc etc .....

Rumple 21:55 27 Jan 03

i have had no probs with Western digital and they seem like very good solid Hard drives.(they are used in the computers at local schools and the university round here!). IBM have had reliability problems as well as (in my opinion) a higher failure rate compared to western. Either way however theres little to chose from them and as Elrond says, Maxtor and Seagate also make good solid reliable units

jediknight007 21:56 27 Jan 03

You have no choice other than Maxtor.

Quiller. 22:03 27 Jan 03

Maxtor first choice, seagate second.

I have a 6 year old seagate running fine.

Alan-277820 22:19 27 Jan 03

Maxtor are the best, Western digital and seagate close second.
I.B.M goes in the B.I.N
Enough said, lol

zanwalk 22:35 27 Jan 03

Western Digital - excellent, Maxtor also excellent in my experience. Western Digital also offer a three year warranty on SOME of their drives.

bx2000 22:44 27 Jan 03

Maxter, "honest" Regards G.

woodchip 22:44 27 Jan 03

For me Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm

lixdexik 23:03 27 Jan 03

my experiance with western is mixed.. my 11 week old 40gig western died two days ago, yet my 6 year old western 850meg still seems to work. I have two samsung spinpoints that are performing well, but my first spinpoint failed in only two weeks. I too am in the market for a new drive and will go for the seagate this time. but thats just me. everybodys experience will be different. It is a hard one to call.

sorry I have not helped much.

cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…