Who is Helen?

Yimbo 23:24 31 Dec 08

I've just set up my new computer - so far so good! However, I notice that the "Documents and Settings" folder, which on my previous machine read "Documents and Settings/my name", now reads "Documents and Settings/Helen". When I try to rename, I get the message ""Helen is a Windows system folder for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed"

Does anyone know this lady? How do I remove her presence and reclaim this folder as mine?

MCE2K5 23:39 31 Dec 08

That would be Mrs MCE2K5, Do you want me to call her. ;-)

Sea Urchin 23:45 31 Dec 08
  Sea Urchin 23:59 31 Dec 08

One long-winded way is here

click here

Or how about creating a New User with the desired name and copy the documents and settings from the old. Then delete the old user.

tullie 06:59 01 Jan 09

Brand new computer??

ened 07:03 01 Jan 09

The question is: Why is someone elses name on your "NEW" computer.

Is the computer second hand?

jack 08:56 01 Jan 09

It would appear to have been previously owned and returned for any of a lot of valid reasons- has been put back on the shelf with out proper check over and clearing of the previous data.

My advice is if you paid full whack for this machine is to return it whence it came and ask for a substantial discount or replacement.

johndrew 10:34 01 Jan 09

I`ll second that.

To get a "Documents and Settings/Helen" location the name "Helen" must have been inserted during the setup process; if you didn`t do it then the previous "owner" did. Where was the PC bought?

Sea Urchin 10:53 01 Jan 09

I had assumed it was second-hand - but if not then I would agree - return to source.

Yimbo 12:35 01 Jan 09

Thanks folks -you've given me a lot to think about - and worry over!! Yes, I paid full whack for the machine - an Arbico Elite 8680 GTX at over £1300 - mainly on the recommendation of PC Advisor's Top 5 Charts. I can't imagine that this company would sell me a scond hand machine! All the Docs and settings appear to be mine - apart from the name "Helen"!

Should have said before - but I wish you all a Happy New Year!!

Sea Urchin 12:38 01 Jan 09

Yes, then Helen has certainly been using your PC - so definitely revert back to your supplier

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced