Who am I connected to

huzzar 08:58 19 Mar 08

I have just bought a new Vista PC. I connected my router to the PC and immediately gained access to the Internet. The trouble is I don't know who I am using to give me access, all I know is that I am connected via "Belkin Router" can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find what Telephone number is being dialled by my router.

rawprawn 09:09 19 Mar 08

If your Router is a Belkin it will be yours, are any other Roures showing.

MAJ 09:10 19 Mar 08

You can't find out who it is, but it will be one of your neighbours. Be aware that it is illegal to knowingly connect to and use someone's connection without their permission.

harps1h 09:26 19 Mar 08

first of all how are you connected to the router?
wirelessly or wired (using an ethernet cable directly from your computer to the router)

secondly is it a router or a modem/router?
if is the latter and you used the router previously to connect then the same settings apply as before, regardless of what Operating system you use.

if you are wireless, right click on the network icon beside your taskbar clock and select network and sharing centre. there it will trll you what network you have connected to. in fact this also applies even if you are wired.
i you are wired and the sharing centre shows a wred and wireless connection, disable the wireless connection as one is only required and a wired connection is more secure and stable.

to check the settings of your belkin router then open your web browser and enter 192.168.2.1 this will bring you to the settings of the router. under the dhcp list you will see your computer and the unique number it generates along with the MAC address belonging to your network card.

huzzar 10:11 19 Mar 08

Many thanks for your replies rawprawn & MAJ. harps1h - my nearest neighbour is 100 yards away and I don't think they have a PC. I am wired from the router to the PC. I have done what you said and remember doing this when I first set up the router on my old PC a couple of years ago. Many thanks for the help I appreciate it very much.

harps1h 14:43 19 Mar 08

no problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…