White Smoke after PC Upgrade

Skyreith 00:07 31 May 16

I upgraded my build to this:

CORE i5-6600 Skylake

MSI B150M MORTAR

2x Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Value RAM

KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE 240GB SATA3 SSD

4x SATA HDD

ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!

Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!

What happened after power on: White smoke -> When enter Windows 10, only the SSD was able to be read.

What should I do?

alanrwood 09:31 31 May 16

Where did the white smoke come from exactly.

It is possible with 4 HDDs,an SSD and the HD5770 you are ghetting close to the max for the PSU, especially if this is where the smoke is coming from.

Skyferia 13:35 31 May 16

I'm not sure, since the smoke completely dissipated when I removed the case to find out the source. Also with 4 HDDs, an SSD, and the HD5770 @ my previous build, there was no issue whatsoever.

lotvic 13:59 31 May 16

If you go in setup in BIOS are the HDDs recognised there?

The white smoke symptom would suggest a capacitor has overloaded/or gone bad and blown. Have a careful look at motherboard to see if you can spot one that is swollen etc. Do a google for images of 'bad capacitor symptoms' so you will know what to look for.

I'll state obvious for not so savvy other readers of this thread: disconnect mains electricity first and look on motherboard only; do not open the PSU to look for bad capacitors as a high voltage is retained in there even though power is disconnected

bumpkin 17:52 31 May 16

If you are running the HDDs via a cable splitter it may be worth checking that connector as it may have arced causing the smoke and then failed giving no power to the drives.

Skyferia 19:55 31 May 16

The below are images of after damage: click here you help to explain what are damaged, and how I should proceed?

href

Can

Skyferia 19:57 31 May 16

The below are images of after damage:

click here click here click here click here you help to explain what are damaged, and how I should proceed?

(Sorry for double posting, the links weren't successfully posted in that post)

> > > Can

alanrwood 20:49 31 May 16

Can't see anything in the graphics you posted so my money would be on the PSU (just).

Note the warning above

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:52 31 May 16

cant see anything other than badly connected SATA data cables

caccy 22:17 01 Jun 16

Last image but one showing the "tested"lable has a cable into a hard drive looks as if it is not located correctly.

Skyferia 03:04 02 Jun 16

Can't see anything in the graphics you posted so my money would be on the PSU (just). Note the warning above

Sorry, what warning?

cant see anything other than badly connected SATA data cables

Badly connected -- ones to the motherboard or hard disks? It can't go further in.

Last image but one showing the "tested"lable has a cable into a hard drive looks as if it is not located correctly.

Sorry, what do you mean not located correctly? That label is attached to black wire, which is connected to the SATA end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…