white screen on acer aspire 7520

Bruz 17:17 08 Feb 11

I have been asked to try and sort out a laptop with the white screen problem.
The OS is windows 7 ultimate. A new hard drive was fitted some time back and windows 7 32 bit OS was installed. Now months later the white screen appears. You can be on the desktop or on the Internet for no apparent reason the screen just goes white and unless you reboot you will not see the desktop again. However if you press the start key on the keyboard the program list comes up and the bottom menu bar appears you can then use the icons to get bak to where you was on the net but not much else. I have updated the graphics and the chip-set, all to no avail. Mal-ware bytes found a trojan but it had nothing to do with the white screen. Reg mechanic found problems in the registry but nothing changed. Any got a fix.
I have tried internet fixes, so far they have all failed. Any one got any Ideas,
Cheers Bruz

Pineman100 17:30 08 Feb 11

There's a Microsoft suggestion for solving a similar problem on the following forum thread: click here

Unfortunately there's no follow-up post to let us know whether it worked.

Bruz 18:17 08 Feb 11

Pineman100
Thanks for your input I will try the microsoft way but the restore does not work, no matter how far you go back. I have been told that people have reformated and reinstalled windows 7 and the white screen was still there.
Thanks again for your input.
Cheers Bruz

GaT7 18:26 08 Feb 11

Bruz, did you contact Acer about the problem?

Is it a software or hardware problem - have you been able to find out?

You mention Win7 (& so does that MS forum thread), so I assume the problem is seen in Win7 only, which I guess would point to a software problem. G

Bruz 18:39 08 Feb 11

Crossbow7
Thanks for your input, I updated the Chip-set and graphics drivers but it did not do any good.
I have been on the internet for a couple of weeks now and a lot of the white screen problems appear to be on Acer laptops but it is not just win7 it goes back a couple of years and covers the whole range from XP to win7.
This makes me think it is a virus of some description. If it is a virus Mall-ware Bytes, zone alarm and Avg have missed it. Nothing I have tried to date has worked.
Cheers Bruz

GaT7 18:50 08 Feb 11

Have you followed this troubleshooting guide click here? Of course you cannot be expected to have a spare screen, but you could open it up & check the video cable connection & other connections are secure.

Also if an external monitor works it could rule out a motherboard or GPU problem.

Some success stories lower down the link with various things that worked, & apparently it happens on other laptop brands too. G

Bruz 21:35 08 Feb 11

Crossbow7
Thanks for the last comment, I had seen the first part of that link but I had not gone further down the page.
The part were the guy says he switched his computer off before he should have done.
When I switched this Laptop on this morning the first thing it did was resume the last shutdown before it booted up.
I am now wondering how many times she has done this?
I will go tomorrow and do that guys battery test on it. I will let you know if it works.
Thanks again.
Best regards Bruz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017