White pop-up window with 'close' button.

greyfriar 12:02 02 Aug 05

My PC with 512Mb RAM runs Windows 98SE and I have a recurring problem which seems to relate to memory not being freed up. When using Microsoft Publisher 97 to edit relatively small publications (4x A5 pages with some clipart) or when editing a photograph with Photoshop 7, or occasionally when using Word 97 with several documents open, I eventually get a blank white pop-up window with a ‘close’ button appearing. Nothing then works until I click on ‘close’ and then if I try to run a program I get a message that there is insufficient memory to run it. The only option is to shut down Windows and start again, but using the normal shut down procedure results in a frozen screen, so I have to use the ‘reset’ button. I’ve tried to override windows management of virtual memory (on a separate hard drive with over 20Gb free), but it always defaults back to windows management. I’ve run memtest86 which could find no errors. I’m not sure if there’s a connection, but the problem first came to light some time after installing Symantec Norton Internet Security. I’ve tried reinstalling Publisher (the most frequent culprit), but this hasn’t solved the problem. Any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…