Whirring noise on start up. Possible hard drive?

Red dog 20:57 31 Dec 03

I have an evesham axis comouter which sometimes makes a whirring noise about 5 seconds after start up and lasts until the red light goes off. I suspect it may be a HD problem but only guessing being a bit of an IT noddy. The comp is still under guarantee and no doubt it will be sorted. I am considering buying an external HD tomake a copy of all my files etc before calling the repair man. Which is the best way of doing this please and which HD is best to buy up to 80gyg or thereabouts.

Jakey boy 21:17 31 Dec 03

It could well be the HD that's whirring. Others in the forum will be able to confirm better than I. There are lots of external hard drives, and lots of places to get them. Try click here= I use them a lot, and they have a great service and range of products.

ams4127 16:14 01 Jan 04

My Evesham does it too! I assumed it was one of the fans since, once the machine has fully booted, everything becomes quiet again. I've had problems with HDD noise before and it was different to this.

The computer is booting quickly and runs perfectly so I'm leaving well enough alone.

zanwalk 16:21 01 Jan 04

It could be the HD, but, as commented above it is more likely to be a fan. I had a problem with the Northbridge fan on my PC, it would make a noise for about half a minute on start up and then disappear. As time went on it got better, and now (3 yrs later) it hardly ever does it.

Wise move to back up all your data though, whether or not you call an engineer.

Peanut001 16:22 01 Jan 04

its definatly sounds like hard drive as the whirring stops when the hard drive stops being under strain.
Try doing either a scan disk, virus scan or defrag, this will put the drive under strain, if it whirs then its the drive.
It may not be a problem rather just a noisy hard drive.
What drive is it, someone may have the same and be able to tell you if they have same prob, if it is just noisy and u want rid, get a quiet pc hard drive case, takes ALOT of noise away.

Peanut001 16:24 01 Jan 04

unusual to have a fan only make alot of noise at startup, most will just keep going, if its a variable fan there is not a lot of heat at startup so wouldn't be at full speed until later.

Gongoozler 16:27 01 Jan 04

Even if you are "a bit of an IT noddy", unless you are likely to void your warrenty by doing so, remove a side panel, get a sheet of A4 paper rolled up to make a tube about a foot long and an inch diameter. Use this as a stethoscope to see if you can locate the area where the sound is coming from.

Peanut001 16:29 01 Jan 04

its an evesham, it will void warranty as there will be a sticker on back of case going across the side of case, if broken, warranty void!
sux dont it, hence Y i dont buy ready made pc's

Stuartli 17:15 01 Jan 04

It might be a fan's blade edges just catching the casing.

How old is your system?

dave-jens 17:54 01 Jan 04

I have an evesham, 5 yrs old, every now and then when it is cold I get a whirring noise on some boot ups for a few seconds that eventualy goes quiet. I have changed every thing in the machine over the last 5 yrs appart from the powersupply and fan, it still does it so to me it is the fan that is making it.
By all means get it checked out, mine has done this occasionally for 3 years or so but it is not a problem.

DieSse 18:00 01 Jan 04

Are you sure it's not the CD drive - they can sound a bit this way, if you've left a CD in the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…