while reinstalling, it HANGS at SAME point

Limariami 12:38 11 Mar 03

Hi all

I have reformatted and reinstalled (win 9SE) once before with no problems. However, I am having problems now.

While creating a file to enable deinstallation of Windows (the recommended step) the computer hangs during the copying of system files, and always at the same place (with the bar at 10%).

If I skip this step, during the subsequent stage, when Windows files are being copied, again, the computer hangs at a specific point (when the bar is at 27%).

Any ideas why I am having these problems? Is the CDROM corrupted. May be it is scratched (though not visibly) - I say this because before hanging, the smooth whirring of the hard drive turns into an almost painful grating noise.

Thanks for any feedback.

cream. 12:48 11 Mar 03

Is the cdrom disk dirty or scratched?

Have you disabled the virus checker in the bios \ advanced cmos settings?

Limariami 16:00 11 Mar 03

Dear The Village Idiot

The CD is not scratched as far as I can see.

How do I disable the virus checker?

I n fact, could I use the virus checker (Norton Utlitities) to check whether the Windows disk is corrupt?

cream. 16:57 11 Mar 03

Switch the computer on and keep tapping the delete key. This should take you in to the bios.

Here you will find a page with different headings.

The one you are looking for is usually the second one down, advanced cmos settings.

Open this up and look for virus checker or words similar to that. It is usually the first one that you come to on that page.

If it is enabled, then disable it. You do this by using the pgup or pgdn buttons on the right of the keyboard.

If you do change the setting then you must press the esc. key to get back to the main page and then pick the save settings and exit heading. You just type y to this. The computer will then reboot.

If you do not change the settings, then do as above but pick exit without saving on the main page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…