which wireless router

mrcrowuk 18:08 08 May 09

i am on bt broadband with my pc. i want to connect my wifi laptops using a broadband router.
do i need to use a bt w/router or any make
if any make can anyone please suggest a good model with protection and to suit G connectivity.
i have two laptops and the older is G.
grateful for any advice
yours
mrcrow
manchester

ambra4 20:05 08 May 09

“Do I need to use a BT w/router or any make”

No you do not have to use BT Router you can use any make of ASDL+2 Wireless Modem

Router

Personal I like D Link or 3Com Routers but you can look at the following

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router with SpeedBooster

click here

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

mrcrowuk 20:46 08 May 09

thanks i will follow up that info
and i think i can see now how to get N on my older laptop with a usb plug in thingy
cheers
geof

ambra4 02:36 09 May 09

“I can see now how to get N on my older laptop with a usb plug in thingy”

If you want to use a Wireless-N USB Adapter you must use a Wireless-N Modem Router

Using a 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter with a 54Mbps Wireless-G Modem Router the

300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter will not connect at the 300Mbps Wireless N Speed but at the

Wireless G 54Mbps Speed

In other words if the router is a Wireless-N Modem Router and you set the router to transmit at

Wireless N, only the wireless device with the wireless N card / USB adapter will connect

The wireless devices with an Wireless G card /USB adapter will never connect

The Wireless G System is not upward compatible with the Wireless N System

Where as the Wireless N System is downward compatible with the Wireless G System

If the router is a Wireless-N modem router and you set the router to transmit at

Wireless G, the wireless N card / N USB adapter will connect at the Wireless G 54Mbps Speed

plus all other Wireless G devices will connect

You must buy and install a separate 300Mbps N Card / N USB Adapter for each wireless device

you want to connect at the N speed.

So make sure that you get the correct type of Wireless modem router and Wireless Card / USB

Adapter that you want to use on your network

Hope that makes sense to you; the equipment in my first posting is for a standard Wireless G

system

Wireless N System Equipment

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway

click here

D-Link Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

3Com Wireless 11n ADSL Router Bundle with USB Adapter

click here

dawood 15:56 09 May 09

If you have DSL/Cable modem, then can just get a wireless router. If you have no modem, then you can get a modem router and set up your wireless network. Have a look on this wireless network setup tutorial to get more ideas click here .

mrcrowuk 16:49 09 May 09

i understand now the need for a N adaptor and an N router
i only thought N would be good for getting a larger range of signal, i dont use games etc so dont need it for that
i was going round in circles a bit with what i had googled before posting here regarding the 'best' wireless router as most had around 4 1/2 stars out of 5 and the worst results of those were in the order of " it wouldnt work and i sent it back, i will never touch X companies stuff again" right up to 5/5 "great item connected in 5 mins with no problems"
i think i will make life simple and get a G+ type router since although my newest laptop is N its only used in the home for video editing
cheers
geof
manchester

mrcrowuk 17:16 09 May 09

breaking down those prices for a bundle shows me the 3com + usb a decent deal at £121 since the others offer adaptors at around £60

on reflection i feel the N products and the adaptor will allow me to take the G laptop into the garden and use the adaptor for longer range use.

its a ibm T60 laptop so i am not sure as to using a pc slot adaptor

many many thanks for the heads up...and that wireless tutorial was ace!

cheers
geof

ambra4 01:48 10 May 09

Are you sure that the IBM T60 laptop does not have a build in wireless card?

Lenovo ThinkPad® T60 PC Notebook

click here

mrcrowuk 13:56 10 May 09

yes it does and its G
correct me if i am wrong..
to use N router i have to use the N adaptor supplied??
my other laptop is N so it should connect ok
cheers
geof

ambra4 15:48 10 May 09

Correct

To use the Wireless N Router set to N you need to use a Wireless N Adapter

mrcrowuk 15:09 11 May 09

i see you say 'set to N'
can i buy a N router and use it for N and G
this would simplify the whole process of using 2 laptops...one N and one G
then if i find the G laptop would benefit from N i would then buy the adaptor
thanks again
cheers
geof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…