Which wireless modem/router?

Les T 20:16 01 Oct 07

Evening folks, i'm looking for a bit of advice. At present i have a Dell Dimension 5000 hooked up to a BT Voyager 205 to connect to net via BT Broadband. However i will shortly be looking to add a wireless laptop to the internet as well.
My intention is to connect the Dell via an ethernet connection and connect the laptop wirelessly.
Which combined modem/router would be recommended and why?

Thanks in advance.

davidh50 00:02 02 Oct 07

I use a Netgear Super Wireless ADSL Router DG834GT, Works great for me Came with FREE Wireless USB2 Adapter, Also good reviews on WEB.

Details Here
click here

Strawballs 00:51 03 Oct 07

click here any one of these will do.

My preference is Linksys but that is because my cable ISP linksys wrt54g has been working for about 3yrs without trouble (touches wood) and a friend of mine had a ADSL Linksys for ages without trouble but when he decided to use the Orange Livebox supplied he has had trouble.

Les T 18:25 03 Oct 07

Cheers folks, i must admit i was leaning towards the Netgear DG834GT. If i do buy it, do i need any information from BT so i can log on to the Router?

davidh50 21:30 03 Oct 07

Hi Les,
You just need your BT Email Address
and the password they gave you on your Welcome letter.
Then run the setup wizzard off Netgear CD.

Les T 14:03 05 Oct 07

davidh50

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated. I reckon the Netgear is hot favourite.

Thanks again.

irishrapter 14:33 05 Oct 07

Yeah I would also suggest Netgear as all my network stuff is Netgear.
However, I would take a look at other manufactures like Linksys and Belkin.

I have had little experience with Belkin but what I do like about their equipment is that most, if not all, come with a lifetime warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…