Which Windows7?

charles60 19:05 11 Feb 11

I am going to build my own Computer and of course its going to need a OS. As its going to be pretty powerful one it will be used manly for multi Media Flight Sims etc . as it will have a Intel i 7 930 & 12GB of ram. So i will be going for Windows 7 64 bit but i don't know which one is Home premium the best one for me? also what is the cheapest place to get this? Also Is it worth getting Microsoft Office 2010 Home edition to add to Windows 7 Package

Strawballs 19:22 11 Feb 11

Unless you are going to use in a buisness enviroment Home Premium 64bit will suffice.

charles60 20:29 11 Feb 11

Does Home Premium 64bit include Microsoft word or something thats like it thanks so I can Save buying Microsoft Office. Thanks

GaT7 20:44 11 Feb 11

I agree with Strawballs.

Useful comparison chart at click here if you'd like to study the differences.

Cheapest could be eBuyer or Amazon.

Please note that the OEM versions can be significantly cheaper than the full retail ones.

But OEM licences cannot usually be transferred from one system to another, including change of motherboard only. But they may let it go if there's a genuine reason for it - e.g. the original motherboard became faulty. It's entirely at their discretion though, so sometimes they may say yes & sometimes no. If no, you will need to purchase a fresh copy of Win7.

The retail ones on the other hand can be transferred any number of times (reactivation usually needed every time), & as long as it's installed on only one system at any give time.

No, Win7 doesn't include MS Word or similar. But instead of MS Office, the free OpenOffice click here is worth a go. G

GaT7 20:45 11 Feb 11

'....& as long as it's installed on only one system at any given time'. G

Strawballs 21:15 11 Feb 11

You can use Open Office click here which is free and is compatible with MS Office

charles60 10:12 12 Feb 11

Thanks yet again Guys think I will Go for the retail version of windows as this is my first build etc and at some date might want to a upgrade motherboard etc it seems best to go for the retail version rather than the QEM

Strawballs 13:37 12 Feb 11

Sorry crossbow should have read your whole post

Muergo 20:25 12 Feb 11

How do Microsoft know if you run it on more than one computer,obviously you won't get updates as they need verification but they can't rip it out of the old one can they?

GaT7 21:58 12 Feb 11

"How do Microsoft know if you run it on more than one computer,obviously you won't get updates as they need verification"

Muergo, see 'How does it work?' at click here. The article appears to be written for XP, but I think Win7 activation works on a very similar principle.

"...but they can't rip it out of the old one can they?"

No, they can't. But one will probably receive constant nags about Windows not being genuine, & the desktop wallpaper will turn black with a 'this copy of Windows is not genuine' (or similar) notification in the bottom right corner. G

Strawballs 22:18 12 Feb 11

If they already have an activation against a product code when you try to activate it on another machine it will not work then after 30days it will do nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…