which wifi N card do i buy for compaq presario v6000

worcesterman47 12:46 PM 24 Jul 12

hi, i have just upgraded to sky fibre broadband but i cannot get full wifi speed due to my current wifi card not being an N one( i currently get 17 MB but approx 30MB is possible),i have asked on another forum which card i would need and i was told to buy the following one from amazon....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-WiFi-Link-5100-technology-based/dp/B007NYCNGK/ref=sr119?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1337258439&sr=1-19

but after installing it i get a black screen almost immediately saying that it is not supported & to remove it..i have tried several times with the same result, my current set up is as follows...WINDOWS VISTA SYSTEM, INTEL CENTRINO DUO PROCESSOR,has anyone got any help/suggestions etc, i have downloaded the very latest driver for the new card but still no joy..the current wifi card i am using is a ..Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection so any help /advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

retep888™ 14:50 PM 24 Jul 12

Quoted: "Intel WiFi Link 5100 - Network adapter - PCI Express Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft 2.0) - only compatible with an Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology-based laptop."

Probably that's why your laptop is not supported.

Suggest you using following USB adapters:

Tenda Wireless-N300 USB Adapter click here

TP-Link TL-WN822N Wireless-N300 High Gain USB Adapter click here

Edimax Wi-fi 300n Usb Adapter click here

Netgear N300 Wireless USB Mini Adapter click here

chub_tor 17:14 PM 24 Jul 12

If you want an internal card, I found Justop very helpful when I needed one for my HP netbook. I emailed them the model number and they recommended what to buy - HP/Compaq have a very strict list of what will work and what won't. I did try and deviate from their suggestion and it did not work but they took it back anyway and changed it for their original recommendation.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…