Which WIFI adapter?

GRFT 08:33 04 Sep 06

I intend to set up a wireless broadband connection using my rather elderly Asus A7V8X mother board.

Which adapter would be most suitable, USB or PCI; or does it make a difference?

I don't yet have a router/modem.

I'm very new at this.

Strawballs 12:15 04 Sep 06

PCI if you don't mind taking the side of of the case if not USB will do, all I would say is make sure that you get a router and adapter the will give WPA encryption not just WEP what is your ISP I am assuming not cable as you said modem/router.

ade.h 14:17 04 Sep 06

click here If you want USB, I have had the best results with 3Com dongles and the more expensive Linksys desktop units. Avoid using the 3rd-party software as Win XP prefers to manage the connection itself.

GRFT 14:24 04 Sep 06

Thanks for your advice. PCI would be most suitable. The connection will be via my BT phoneline and I haven't decided on an ISP yet.

ade.h 14:41 04 Sep 06

If you prefer PCI, there is a Buffalo on eBuyer which is about the cheapest *quality* PCI card to have WPA support. About £25.

PCI cards without WPA support are all too common below £40+.

ade.h 14:42 04 Sep 06

"I haven't decided on an ISP yet."

Good; you're lucky. click here.

amateurann 16:44 04 Sep 06

Moneysupermarket.com has a good comparison section for broadband ISP's which is worth looking at.

Strawballs 23:03 04 Sep 06

click here This is the one I use at £17.95 and it supports WPA.

GRFT 14:40 05 Sep 06

Thank you all for your help. I'm sure I now have the information to get me started.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…