Which way up for CDs.

Meshuga 18:57 30 Aug 04

I have been given a pack of rewriteable cds and , not having used them before,and since there is no indication which way up they should go in the tray can somebody tell me which way please. One side is bright silver and the other appears to have a slightly darkened colouration. Many thanks, Meshuga.

watchful 19:23 30 Aug 04

Mine have self-coloured writing on but the side that goes downwards definitely has a duller cast to it.

watchful 19:24 30 Aug 04

Mine have self-coloured writing on but the side that goes downwards definitely has a duller cast to it.

watchful 19:26 30 Aug 04

Mine have self-coloured writing on but the side that goes downwards definitely has a duller cast to it. Cannot guarantee this though if there is no writing at all on yours.

Meshuga 19:27 30 Aug 04

watchful. Mine have no positive indicator. Regards,Meshuga.

watchful 19:29 30 Aug 04

Sorry about the triple posting but been having JRun Connector Protocol page keep coming up for about 20 mins!

Dorsai 20:08 30 Aug 04

The ones i have, if i ignore the printing on the top, are silver on the top, and the underside has a slight colouration.

Perhaps just try and see. If you put them in upside down i assume that the drive wont even realize there is a disk in? If it does, it certainly will fail to format/write to the disk.

But are they worth the effort, if the company who made them were too embarrassed to put their name on the top of them??

jack 20:13 30 Aug 04

Definitely Silver side up colour side down.
The colour is the dye that changes under the burner.
Dont forget to install packet writing software
Nero IN CD?]

VoG II 20:14 30 Aug 04

Good point - sounds like a "Make your own Coasters" kit if there is no I/D.

Charence 20:43 30 Aug 04

If there is not much colour difference to indicate the write/read side, then look at the see-through ring at the centre.

At the boundary of this region there is a line. On one side of disc it extrudes and the other it is indented. The indented side is the TOP and extruding side is BOTTOM (read/write).

If you hold the disc at an angle towards a light you can clearly see what's mentioned above.

Charence

Meshuga 20:57 30 Aug 04

The makers name is on a label on the boxand is PCline which on the web shows as exclusive to Dixon group and pcworld. Have checked your description Charence and the indented side is the silver one therefore silver on top. What a mine of information this forum is. Regards, Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5