which way is best for uninstalling?

march 13:25 04 Dec 04

just a little query & not a problem

if a program has an uninstall feature is it best to use that it to uninstall or would it be better to uninstall from add/remove programs or doesn't it make any difference which is used?

Technotiger 13:39 04 Dec 04

Hi, I think it is a case of 6 of 1 half-a-dozen-of-the-other. I usually use a programs built-in uninstaller; but I suppose this could intentionally leave bits on your hdd for whatever reason. Just my opinion, perhaps others know better! lol

march 13:49 04 Dec 04

yep, sometimes when I have used the programs own uninstaller it will say "uninstaller could not remove these files" then it gives a list so they can be removed manually but as I am not very technical I dont even know where to start looking to remove them & really dont want to in case I make a mess of things.

jack 14:33 04 Dec 04

If a program comes with its own uninstall routine
that is the one to use.
Sometimes a reboot will finalize the job
Do a reg clean after and Bobs yer uncle

march 14:38 04 Dec 04

thanks for your reply jack,

I wouldn't know how to do a reg clean so would you have to do a reg clean after using add/remove?

Jackcoms 15:40 04 Dec 04

Reg cleaner/bits and bobs remover click here

Clint2 15:42 04 Dec 04

I use this method donated by one of the forum's experts. It works for me.

Windows Add/Remove uses the application's own uninstaller if one is available, so there's nothing wrong with heading directly for that immediately.

All ways leave much behind, and I always clear out everything afterwards with Find and Regedit Find, which it's perfectly safe to do. I've cleared literally hundreds of programs in this way and never once experienced a problem. Always remember that Windows keeps five days of registry backups in store anyway.

So called Registry cleaners like Regcleaner etc are also useless in this respect, since they ALL without exception fail to even recognise that these leftovers are in the registry.

Here's a general guide to clearing out the "bits". The following includes safety procedures. First carry out any available backup procedures that you have available. With Windows ME or XP, create a Restore Point.

Click Find, Files and Folders, type the application name into the dialogue box and press Enter. Then from the list found, make sure of the identity of each item individually and delete any components found to the recycle bin so you can recover from there in the event of any trouble. If the item you're looking for has a double name, put a question mark in place of the space, for example Hewlett?Packard. This will restrict the
items found mainly to those relevant.

Then click Start,Run,type: regedit , and press Enter. Click Registry, Export, select All, and save a registry copy to the desktop as a safeguard.

Then, still in the Registry Editor click Edit,Find. Enter the application name in the dialogue box and click Find. There is no need for the question mark with double names in registry find. With any element found highlighted, press Del on your keyboard to delete it. Then press F3 to find next, and if anything is found, repeat the delete/F3 sequence until all references are gone. Then exit regedit. Together with the deletions in Find, this should clear out most of the components from your computer.

In the unlikely event of any registry trouble, right click the desktop registry backup that you made and select Merge. It will merge back into the registry undoing your changes. Otherwise, when you are certain all is well, you can delete the registry desktop backup.

march 16:26 04 Dec 04

read about ccleaner Jackcoms on this forum before & was told to try it sounds good for users like me me thinks, ta for reply

great answer just abouts covers it all really, explains it so even I may be able to follow safely,will make sure I save this for future & will follow & use it the next time I uninstall anything,

thanks very much for your responses,
always know its excellent advice from this forum & I never feel like a dumbo asking, cheers to all

march x x x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…