Which video card?

simon123 11:48 10 Feb 07

I currently have a Radeon 9600 SEC Family card which has become faulty. I want to take the opportunity to upgrade. Can anyone advise a suitable replacement that wil also give increased graphics performance - particularly for gaming up to £100.

martd77 12:17 10 Feb 07

with £100 there are many good cards around for nvidia and ati
click here

Totally-braindead 12:38 10 Feb 07

Or Novatech click here suggested items in that price range would be the GeForce 7600GS or better the 7600GT.
Word of warning though. Cards like those I mention use extra power, if your power supply is not up to it the card will be useless as the computer will crash all the time. Look on your power supply for a label and see the wattage, it also makes a difference if the card is a really good branded one or one you got with a new system.

simon123 13:12 12 Feb 07

thanks both - that's helpful.

i am confused about compatability - agp or pci. the card i have looks to be in a slot marked agp8x but when i look at its properties in control panel its location is shown as 'pci bus'.

can anyone explain the difference and what i should be looking for?

Wizards_Sleeve 13:39 12 Feb 07

If its brown then its an AGP card you have got and will need o get another AGP GFX card.

simon123 13:49 12 Feb 07

it's brown/black - thanks

Totally-braindead 13:55 12 Feb 07

The confusion is understandable. There are 2 slots called PCI. The original one which has been about for years is simply called PCI and is white, I think all PCs will have PCI but the newer ones are called PCI Express. Completely different thing.
Your graphics card was only available in AGP I believe and that combined with you checking the slot coloured brown confirms you have AGP.
The PCI bus you saw relates to the older PCI slots not PCI Express.
Please do check your power supply though.

simon123 22:37 12 Feb 07

thanks to everyone for their help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…