which type would siute?

NIGEY 21:26 06 Aug 03

hi folks....a friend of mine needs a new modem for her comp.....its running wxp pro on a p4 but i see there are two types of modem software and hardware which would be more suitable and what is the diff?....thanx guys...learning all the time thanx to you guys
nigey :-)

Jester2K II 21:29 06 Aug 03

A hardware one

Hardware ones cost about £12...

Software-based modems use fewer chips compared to traditional modems. The work normally done by the missing chips is transferred to software running on the host computer's main processor (the Pentium, PowerPC, etc.).

click here

Jester2K II 21:30 06 Aug 03

ie Hardware does all the work itself and a software one does some and then loads the rest of the work on the processor..

NIGEY 21:54 06 Aug 03

thanx for that jester all intresting reading im leaning towards hardware modem....she wants to get on the net and wants a decent....there's the tricky word "decent" modem for as little as poss ...thanx guys...oh and i think we ought to ahave a gallery so we can put faces to names eh??? wot you guys reckon?

Jester2K II 21:57 06 Aug 03

Hmmm modems are many and varied. Even if someone said buy Brand X modem Model ABC1 you might never find one...

I've installed dozens of modems so far this year and just buy any 56k PCI modem from my local PC shop. Cheapest was £12 and most expensive £20. No real difference bewtween the two though...

Never had a problem so far...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…