Which type of hard drive for my caddy?

Pineman100 18:23 04 Mar 08

I find hard drive terminology a bit confusing. All these SATA and PATA acronyms...!

I have an external HDD in a USB caddy, for backing up. However, it's a bit small, and I want to fit a new, larger capacity one.

The data connection to the HDD within the caddy is the good old grey multi-strand ribbon cable that's been used within PC's for yonks. Am I right in thinking that, so long as the drive I buy is specified as "IDE", then that's the type of data connection it will have?

While I'm at it, does anyone have recommendations for a good deal on a drive - about 200GB?

Thanks for any advice.

Pamy 18:46 04 Mar 08

Yes IDE or ATA ebuyer is my choice

grumpy-git 18:46 04 Mar 08

External usb hard drives are so cheap these days, why not buy a new one & keep your existing caddy and hard drive for storing an extra copy of your important data.

g-g

Totally-braindead 18:47 04 Mar 08

Yes thats right IDE is what you want, any of these will do click here no preference make wise myself as I've been lucky and had no problem with any make.

I would suggest a Seagate if you do not own Acronis True Image software as theres a free download from Seagate that only works with their drives that does a lot of great things that Acronis can do and its free. To use it all you need is for one of the hard drives on your system to be a Seagate drive.

You can for example buy a bigger drive and backup your entire system including windows using this free software.

Pamy 18:48 04 Mar 08
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 04 Mar 08

Are you sure it will work if the drive is an external one?

Do not think the software can see the drive in an enclosure, I tried the old MAxblast with a maxtor drive in a caddy but two WD drives fited in the machie it would not run the software.

Pineman100 19:42 04 Mar 08

for very prompt and helpful replies.

Totally-braindead and Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks but the dilemma doesn't arise, because I do have ATI.

Pamy - thanks for the link. Not only does it help me with this immediate question, but gives me a bit of much-needed education, too!

Grumpy-git. Interesting idea - I'll compare prices, thanks.

Totally-braindead 20:06 04 Mar 08

Not sure Fruit Bat /\0/\ but someone posted in another thread I was involved in and he said it worked with his. I assume hes right. I can't say that I have done this myself and my internal drives are Seagate anyway so I can't even test it.

If someone said it didn't work I couldn't argue because as I said I haven't done it myself.

But since Pineman100 has the full program already I suppose it doesn't matter one way or another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac