which type of graphics card

darthballs 09:00 26 Dec 07

hi all, looking at getting a pc for my son, dont know much about graphics card, which one of these would be better, and why, should i get integrated, if yes or no, why?!?!

Integrated nVidia® GeForce® 6150 SE graphics

or

128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card

he wants to play WOW, as far as i know, the ncidia 6150 would be good for this, but i thought some people dont like integrated cards. any advice muchly appreciated!

cheerz

anskyber 09:27 26 Dec 07

As a general principle an integrated card uses the installed RAM for it's use leaving less memory for the normal work of the computer.

A card with it's own dedicated graphics memory offers the chance of using faster and more successful graphics intensive programs. Can you link us to the two machines you have in mind so an overall assessment can be given?

citadel 17:29 26 Dec 07

integrated graphics are no good for games, a graphics card is best. 2g of system ram is a good idea.

darthballs 18:21 26 Dec 07

the world of warcraft recomends at least a "NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 class card or above" is this not an intergated card then?

Armchair 19:10 26 Dec 07

No, the GeForce 2 is a family of ancient dedicated graphics cards.

Neither of your options are very good, and you really want a card with 256MB of it's own video RAM these days. The integrated 6150 is desperate, and that 2400 Pro is a poor gaming card (but it will run WoW reasonably well). Are there no other options, though?

darthballs 07:28 27 Dec 07

cheerz armchair, yep lots of options, these were just two cards on lower priced "entertainment" desktops that dell are doing, being restricted by price, it mightg be a case of if he cant play a game, then tough!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…