Which tablet should I buy?

helene190 19:17 30 Jun 14

Hi!

I am going on exchange to Indonesia in a month and I would like to bring a tablet with me. I am not sure which would be the best to pick and I would really appreciate some advice!

I want to use the tablet for keeping a lot of photos and writing blog posts while I am offline. I would like it to have a keyboard as well. The cheaper the better!

Thank you for any suggestions!

wee eddie 19:55 30 Jun 14

You'd be better off with a laptop.

Tablets are not known for their commodious storage space, so you'd have to have a spare drive. Also a new Tablet would, very likely, be a thief magnet.

A second hand laptop which was, essentially, disposable. Would probably still be with you when you return.

Woolwell 19:57 30 Jun 14

A really cheap tablet isn't necessarily a good buy and may be best avoided. The majority of tablets do not come with a separate keyboard but the onscreen keyboard is normally sufficient. If you are writing a lot then a bluetooth keyboard may be useful bit is something else to carry. Don't skimp on storage if you want to store lots of photos.

But before giving further advice it is important to know what size screen you want. 7" may be too small. Have you had a look at tablets in a store?

Woolwell 19:59 30 Jun 14

wee eddie - Sorry I disagree. A tablet with 32 Gb of storage gives plenty of room for photos. Tablets are easier to carry round being much lighter. There isn't much difference between a laptop and tablet as a thief magnet.

helene190 20:18 30 Jun 14

Thank you for your replies!

I am choosing a tablet because they are, as Woolwell said, much lighter and easier to put in a smaller bag. For me, carrying a laptop bag would be much more conspicuous.

I have used a couple of tablets and I really liked having the keyboard. As for size I think I like the larger ones better.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 30 Jun 14

If you get one with a Micro SD card slot it will increase your storage

budget? will determine your best buy

Woolwell 20:27 30 Jun 14

Have a look at the Samsung range. I'm an iPad fan and therefore biased. With Apple you have to pay more and then have to buy a connector to transfer photos from a camera to tablet.

helene190 20:56 01 Jul 14

What do you think of this one?

click here

Woolwell 21:04 01 Jul 14

It's not strictly speaking a tablet but a transformer. It will be heavier than a tablet and may weigh more than some ultraportable laptops. The advantage is that it has a keyboard and plenty of storage plus ports.

helene190 21:23 01 Jul 14

Ok. Thank you! It seems to be a great price but there are some mixed reviews which is why I am unsure. Do you have any suggestions?

Woolwell 21:59 01 Jul 14

Is it a must to have a keyboard or buy a bluetooth one?

Are you in USA?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…