Which S/W? My Webspace provider doesn't allow FP

AngeTheHippy 23:28 30 Jul 04

DOH!!!!!
Disn't know until I'd signed up that although I get 20Mb webspace (ok with me) the provider doesn't allect FrontPage built sites. I'ce seen Dreamweaver and find it totally mind boggling, so can anyone suggest a FP-type (wysiwyg) software please?

Thanks loads,
AngeTheHippy
x

Patr100 12:44 31 Jul 04

Are you sure they just don't allow you to use Fronpage Extensions - which are a few of the extra bells and whistles unique to FP - such as some text effects or form handling? Otherwise I can't see any reason why you can't use it to build a basic HTML site.

PS what is the name of the webspace host?

AngeTheHippy 13:16 31 Jul 04

I'm with Eclipse.... when I called the helpline he specifically said they didn't support (?) FP - unless he got it wrong...

a

Charence 17:17 31 Jul 04

Hmm, which features of FP are you wanting? If you just want to upload your website you can use a proper FTP program such as WS FTP LE click here

If the server doesn't support FP extensions, you'll still be able to see most of your site, they're just going to be some features such as those mentioned by Patr100 which will not appear.

Charence

Forum Editor 17:53 31 Jul 04

that doesn't provide the FP extensions nowadays. although you may have to pay a small fee. For everything to work 100% with FP it should run on a Windows server with the extensions installed, although you can run FP sites without the extensions being present - you just won't be able to use some of the better components like discussion forums and form handlers.

Otherwise you could try NetObjects Fusion - it's an excellent application, and in its latest version it's every bit as powerful as DreamWeaver. The learning curve isn't nearly as steep, and you have slightly less in terms of bells and whistles but we're splitting hairs to be honest, the power to create stunning web sites is all there.

Chegs ® 19:26 02 Aug 04

click here

Eclipse DOES support FrontPage,its my ISP and here is my site(created with FP,and uploaded via "SmartFTP" a free FTP app)I'm also allowed to upload over 150Mbs to it(although it states on the T&C agreement,its only 50Mbs)which I discovered by accident when I uploaded a zip file to check my links in the pages. :-)

AngeTheHippy 22:27 03 Aug 04

coincidence, I d/loaded SmartFTP to try and upload my site to Eclipse. Am very confused (don't take much!!) as I've not used FTP client before. How do I upload using this?

AngeTheHippy
x
ps - your daughter's a cutey! I only have sons...

Chegs ® 23:10 03 Aug 04

I input the setting for my eclipse account in SFTP as follows...

Account= myfiles.eclipse.co.uk

Login = (your eclipse email addy)

Password = (your email accounts password)

The webpage I created with FP,I File/Save in... and create a folder JUST for the FP page.Then I launch SFTP,Connect to my site,left click on the folder in the top box,then right click in amongst the files within this folder,select "Upload/direct/Select Files..."and browse to the FP folder,uploading EVERYTHING from within.The result is as seen at the link above.I knocked that site up as a quick experiment to assist another PCA user in getting his site up and running,his site now makes mine look like a complete amateur created it(I did/am)Here's his site now click here :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…