Which startup prog?

Muergo 22:42 11 Jul 09

I am currently using WinPatrol to prioitise start up programs, but a bit fed up with their constant pestering to pay for plus version. What is Startlite like, is it better/the same?

Muergo 22:44 11 Jul 09

Should have said StartUplite

User-312386 22:50 11 Jul 09

I would not use any programmes to stop them starting

Either go to start up folder and remove programmes or start>msconfig and untick the programmes you dont want to start

Sea Urchin 22:59 11 Jul 09

I would agree with madboy33©® about discouraging your existing programs - but there are many programs that register themselves to run at startup without your knowledge.

I use Mike Lin's Startup Monitor

click here

which advises when a program is attaching itself to the startup routine, and gives the opportunity to refuse it. It's surprising how many times a day it happens.

birdface 23:10 11 Jul 09

I have used Winpatrol for about 4 years now and in all that time I have not been asked to pay for the Plus Version.So not sure why you are getting pestered by them.

GaT7 23:56 11 Jul 09

I'm with Sea Urchin on this - been using StartupMonitor too for a few years, it's light, effective & very simple to use. Also available at the PCA download section click here.

Rarely get any warnings though, unless I'm in the process of installing something that wants to introduce a new startup item. G

Muergo 07:08 12 Jul 09

Thank you all for your advice, I will go along with you, just putting Winpatrol on disable and download Startup monitor.

Halmer 07:16 12 Jul 09

there is a simple function to do this at Tools/Software Explorer

Muergo 12:59 12 Jul 09

Program blurb says it's transparent, yes it is, I can't get any customisation to show, startup is just as it was before, how do I access preferences in the program,since installation it hasn't done anything.

GaT7 21:51 12 Jul 09

That's the beauty of it.

You will get pop-ups only if any new startup entries are being introduced in your Windows startup area. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…