Which Software to maintain computer ?

hubdean 19:14 16 Oct 10

Hello
Whats the best programe to run to keep your computer running first class.
thanks

Strawballs 20:11 16 Oct 10

Norton 360v4 is more than an antivirus it also does defrags and reg-cleanups all in the background.

In the past I have been one of Nortons biggest critics but since I trialed the Beta version I am converted checout the reviews in the beta forun

GaT7 20:16 16 Oct 10

There are various, gimmicky disk/registry checkers & cleaners, so the best I've found is reinstalling the OS afresh when it gets bad enough (in your opinion), or intolerable to continue using it in its present state.

One way to save time & effort, rather than reinstalling afresh, is to save a present good install as an image file. This can be done with the help of disc-imaging programs like Acronis TrueImage click here (£17-18 at the time of posting. There are various similar free programs as well). Then, the next time your system goes bad, all you need to do is to reload this saved image & you're done - this is usually MUCH quicker than a fresh install. Don't forget to do a thorough data backup if necessary prior you reloading the image.

I maintain at least 2 partitions on my hard drive. A smaller one containing the OS only & a larger one with data only. With this system, I don't need to spend time backing-up data prior to reinstalling or re-imaging the OS partition. This way the image file also stays small, so is quicker to create, recreate & reload. However, do be aware that email programs (OE, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) store their emails on the OS partition by default, & if is the case with your system, they will need backing-up. So will other programs that save their user data in 'profiles', or a Search Index for example. G

hubdean 20:17 16 Oct 10

sorry norton i dont want to know.
thanks

Strawballs 20:29 16 Oct 10

AS I said in the past I have been one of their biggest critics but read the reviews even FE said he would put it on all his machines

click here

Check out page 2

john bunyan 20:30 16 Oct 10

I agree with Crossbow7 re partitions and back up.. Plus : Free stuff: Firewall: PCTools, Antirvus: Avira or MS Security Essentials; anti malware: Superantispyware, Malararebytes and Spywareblaster. To clean up, including reistry; C Cleaner.I also find Auslogics defragmenter quicker than MS built in one.

birdface 20:43 16 Oct 10

Beta version V5 out now.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 16 Oct 10

What's the best programs to run to keep your computer running first class?

A good
firewall,
antivirus ,
anti spy/malware
cleaner to remove dross

My six year old XP PC runs as fast nowadays as it did when I bought it.

Sygate
Avast
Windows defender / malwarebyte /spywareBlaster
Ccleaner

If you have Vista or W7 then

Windows own firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials
and Ccleaner

is all you need

Strawballs 23:41 16 Oct 10

Thanks for that loaded on test machine

mooly 07:08 17 Oct 10

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ and would even go further and say don't use any reg cleaner at all (including that part of CC).

I would also suggest using Acronis to make regular disk images so that if anything ntoward happens you are only a few clicks away from a perfectly restored PC.

kdt 10:04 17 Oct 10

my 10 year old xp sp3 had MSE, CCleaner, Spywareblaster and worked fine todate until I bought w7 64 bit 6gb RAM and use McAfee, CCleaner and Spywareblaster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…