which slots-RAM?

pureepaul 19:02 31 Oct 07

a while ago i installed more RAM and everything is seemingly O.K, i just put the new bit next to the other bit and hey presto..
now i hear that the boards should be in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, is this true and will it not being like this make a difference and if so can i just take it out and pop it in the next slot???
thanks in advance. pp

Totally-braindead 20:03 31 Oct 07

It depends on the motherboard.

Some have 4 slots and 2 are for one type of memory and 2 are for a different type. You can use one pair or the other but not both.

Other motherboards that have 4 slots might take dual channel memory which means that you upgrade in pairs.

It depends on your motherboard. I would suggest that as yours is working ok you have it right.

If in doubt look at Crucial and either identify your computer for them or let it scan your computer, it will tell you what you have and what you can take. click here

HCOOH 20:17 31 Oct 07

If you can access the motherboard manual somehow it usually gives a table of RAM combinations and the associated speeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced