Which Sata Drives for laptop

highside 10:15 AM 02 Aug 12

Please forgive if its a stupid question but not familiar with Sata. I have large images on external powered hard drives (USB connected). My HP laptop has a Sata input and I woild like to use that instead to possibly speed up access.

From a quick web check I think I need a drive unit and an enclosure. Also I believe the enclosure should be a single disk and not one which involves Port Multiplier whatever that is.

Have I got this right and could anyone tell me the proper description of enclosure to ask for or give a model name?

Thanks for looking.

Nontek 10:18 AM 02 Aug 12

What make and model is your laptop?

Nontek 10:23 AM 02 Aug 12

Many different HP models, so if we know which one, it might help.

rdave13 10:40 AM 02 Aug 12

If you have an e-sata connection then you can use these type of enclosures (caddies), Amazon examples.

highside 10:44 AM 02 Aug 12

Sorry its an HP Pavilion 2250ed 2.1Ghz 8GB RAM eSata. Win7 64 bit

rdave13 10:45 AM 02 Aug 12

Be aware that if you have an e-sata port with a USB logo as well, then the e-sata will be USB powered.

highside 11:18 AM 02 Aug 12

The port looks like it could also take a USB connector is that what you mean and if so does that make the excercise pointless ie I would still have USB speed only?

northumbria61 11:30 AM 02 Aug 12

That port can used with a eSATA compatible external HDD for ultra fast transfer speeds from your computer to your external HDD and vice versa.

It can also be used as a USB port as well.

northumbria61 11:33 AM 02 Aug 12

Should have added - you will have 2 ports on the back of the external drive enclosure - one marked USB and the other E-Sata.

rdave13 11:46 AM 02 Aug 12

As long as your caddy has a power source then it will run at e-sata speeds (using e-sata) in the connection. You can also run usb powered drives in it as well.

highside 12:02 PM 02 Aug 12

Many thanks for all that info.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay