Which Sata Drives for laptop

highside 02 Aug 12

Please forgive if its a stupid question but not familiar with Sata. I have large images on external powered hard drives (USB connected). My HP laptop has a Sata input and I woild like to use that instead to possibly speed up access.

From a quick web check I think I need a drive unit and an enclosure. Also I believe the enclosure should be a single disk and not one which involves Port Multiplier whatever that is.

Have I got this right and could anyone tell me the proper description of enclosure to ask for or give a model name?

Thanks for looking.

Nontek 02 Aug 12

What make and model is your laptop?

Nontek 02 Aug 12

Many different HP models, so if we know which one, it might help.

rdave13 02 Aug 12

If you have an e-sata connection then you can use these type of enclosures (caddies), Amazon examples.

highside 02 Aug 12

Sorry its an HP Pavilion 2250ed 2.1Ghz 8GB RAM eSata. Win7 64 bit

rdave13 02 Aug 12

Be aware that if you have an e-sata port with a USB logo as well, then the e-sata will be USB powered.

highside 02 Aug 12

The port looks like it could also take a USB connector is that what you mean and if so does that make the excercise pointless ie I would still have USB speed only?

northumbria61 02 Aug 12

That port can used with a eSATA compatible external HDD for ultra fast transfer speeds from your computer to your external HDD and vice versa.

It can also be used as a USB port as well.

northumbria61 02 Aug 12

Should have added - you will have 2 ports on the back of the external drive enclosure - one marked USB and the other E-Sata.

rdave13 02 Aug 12

As long as your caddy has a power source then it will run at e-sata speeds (using e-sata) in the connection. You can also run usb powered drives in it as well.

highside 02 Aug 12

Many thanks for all that info.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: When is the OnePlus 2 coming out? July…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message