Which router/wireless networking/video streaming

N5 girl 11:17 21 Jun 06

I am new to the forum so please bear with me - I have a few questions that have been bugging me.

My internet access has previously been limited to dial ups on a work laptop. I plan to buy a laptop for personal use. I would also like to be wireless and in the next few yrs set up a network with a media centre pc for video streaming.

1. I am confused between the speed offer by my broadband provider IDNET (somewhere between 2-5mbps) and the speed of the router. Is it the case that the data arrives at my house at 5mbps and then I can send it around my house at much faster speeds?

I assume that a speed of 2-5mbps will mean that I have to download HD broadcasts etc... before watching rather than being able to watch 'live'? Or have I just got this completely wrong?

2. If I use the router to connect to the internet will one of the computers have to be on to allow both to connect to the internet? Is there any way around this?

3. Can I just plug an external drive into the router to allow me to back up data or does it need to be connected to a pc?

4. Any suggestions as to which router - I am happy to spend c£100.

many thanks.

mgmcc 11:49 21 Jun 06

<<< I am confused between the speed offer by my broadband provider IDNET (somewhere between 2-5mbps) and the speed of the router. >>>

If you subscribe to a 5Mbps service with an ISP, you have a connection that will allow you to download at speeds of up to 5Mbps. Your home network, the connections between PC and router and between different PCs will run at 100Mbps for wired ethernet connections and 54Mbps for wireless connections using 802.11g protocol.

<<< If I use the router to connect to the internet will one of the computers have to be on to allow both to connect to the internet? Is there any way around this? >>>

When you install a router, it is the router and not one of the PCs which establishes the connection to the ISP. All computers connected to the router get their internet access over the LAN from the router and no computer is dependent on any other computer for internet access. They are totally independent.

<<< Can I just plug an external drive into the router to allow me to back up data or does it need to be connected to a pc? >>>

There are external hard drives with an ethernet interface, but these are more expensive than the more usual USB 2.0 or Firewire drives that need to connect directly to an individual PC.

<<< Any suggestions as to which router - I am happy to spend c£100. >>>

With ADSL, you want a combined "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem". Models from any of the mainstream manufacturers should be fine - Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link. One of the more popular models is the Netgear DG834G

N5 girl 12:04 21 Jun 06

MGMCC many thanks - you answers were much appreciated as it has started to fill in some of the gaps.

So am I correct in thinking if that I want to watch some available online that with a speed of 5mbps I will have to download first?

I ask because I tend to be a bit of a spur of the moment girl who would like to be able to watch tv shows (from the US for instance) without having to wait for a download. Assuming of course that it is legal to do so.

mgmcc 19:43 21 Jun 06

I think you should be able to view video via a 5Mbps connection without having to download it first. Once the 'buffer' fills, it will start and the connection should be fast enough to prevent the buffer from emptying. It is something I've only done very rarely, but don't recall having problems with my 4Mbps connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac