Which Router Should I Buy?

lynnie 21:03 18 Dec 05

Hi

Bought wrong item today, thanks to help on the forum which has now been explained to me.

Anyway need a router for a wireless laptop connecting to telewest broadband via a motorola external modem. All those I have looked at seem to be for BT or Tiscali.

Could anyone advise me please

TIA

Strawballs 01:17 19 Dec 05
  ajm 09:22 19 Dec 05

You need a wireless router without ADSL Modem built-in. Belkin / Netgear / Linksys all do one. Recommeneded ones are Belkin / Netgear

keewaa 11:40 19 Dec 05

The Netgear WGR614 @£42 from amazon or the Belkin F5D7230uk4 @£47 from Amazon.

No point in buying the high speed versions, as I doubt your laptop will be able to make use of it.

PaulB2005 11:49 19 Dec 05

"No point in buying the high speed versions, as I doubt your laptop will be able to make use of it."

The router speed has nothing to do with the laptop or the Internet. The speed is to do with networking between two PCs on the network.

keewaa 12:05 19 Dec 05

Paul > I think you'll find if you buy a turbo router without buying an extra turbo card for the laptop & PCs, then it won't work at turbo wireless speed (108?) , only at 54Mbps.

And creating a network using a router (infrastructure mode) means that the signal get passed to the PCs via the router.

keewaa 12:11 19 Dec 05

Sorry, maybe that's what you're saying anyway (that the high speed is not presently relevant for internet speeds as they haven't reached 54Mbps, and only for networking between the PCs / laptops)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…