Which router - and ISP - for wireless broadband?

bart warstein 18:33 10 Jan 06

I want to shift from PAYG dial-up to wireless broadband (ie BB and home-network). I have 2 laptops, no desktop PC. Usage is mostly e-mails/surfing and modest downloads (but I'm wary of too restrictive a cap). There are no cable providers where I live. Is it better to go for a package deal (BB contract, modem/router supplied)? Or to buy wireless modem/router separately, then go looking for a 'good' ISP? Any views on the BT or Wanadoo "wireless" deals - latter gets some bad forum feedback? Or if I go the separates route, which wireless/modem routers are reliable, good value and user-friendly to set up (Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, BT Voyager?), and which ISPs should I look at?

ade.h 20:44 10 Jan 06

Based on my own comparatively modest experience of modem/routers, and what a lot of forumites say, I cannot heap enough praise on Belkin.

So incredibly easy to set up, a super strong signal (through solid walls!), takes up little desk space.

And the freephone customer service has an enviable reputation. Not to mention the warranty.

Broadband suppliers? There are a lot of good ones; some people love BT or Tiscali, while others go through hell with those two. Most people dislike AO Hell and it is fussy with modems. I would always, always stick with the smaller companies and avoid contracts. Month-by-month means that you can walk away if you get major problems or someone else offers you a better deal. And the quality and availability of telephone support is crucial.
Me? I'm with F2S and have been for 14 happy months. Never failed to connect.

ade.h 20:48 10 Jan 06

Oh, and to answer your middle question; go with a wires-only deal and choose your own router. You can get what YOU want then.

CAPS: I have a 10GB cap and I never use more than 4 or 5GB despite being a fairly heavy user. But that's another reason to avoid a contract isn't it? If the cap becomes to restrictive, choose another deal or another supplier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac