Which router has best access management

harasseddad 17:07 04 Sep 09

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reliable ADSL wireless router that has comprehensive access management tools. I have a wireless and wired home network using a Belkin wireless router which is reliable but has very limited options to control access times and the types of activity permitted (ie internet, email, MSN etc). I used to have a Netgear router (in fact I've had 2, both of which packed up hence the change to Belkin) which was far less reliable but did offer a fantastically flexible range of options for controlling access. It seems to me that this is a feature of routers that the manufacturers don't explain at all well in their specifications or manuals so, until you actually buy the router there is no good way of telling whether the access management tools are any good. Any advice welcome.

ashleycardwell94 22:58 09 Sep 09

DLINK - using the settings, i was able to host a website, use remote desktop, and mantain my wirless laptop through the internet, you can have DMZ (de militarized zone) whitch alllows one computer to be exposed o the web, port forwarding, virtual servers, eg games.

I was also able to chane the transmitting power of the antenna and the ping response times and most of all restart the wireless ADSL router from any where, there is also a page, if you want to access a computer or anything connected to your wireless network, you would be able to configure it for DYNDNS.org so if your IP changed, you would be able to use a free domain to accesss your network.

By the way, my router is a bit old

It is a D-Link G624T and it has lasted me ages, but if i am using FTP on port 21 the router can become non responsive and all it needs is a cut in the power for about 2 seconds and it will live again, but if you use FTp on port 21 wired to a PC i have no problemo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017