Which router?

Max Star 09:17 18 Mar 09

Hello

I have just bought a laptop computer and wish to connect wirelessly to the internet. My main desktop pc is connected to the internet via cable broadband. However, it is connected with a usb cable and not with an ethernet cable as there is no ethernet port on the back of my pc. The cable routers that I have looked at all connect with an ethernet cable so what is the solution? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

citadel 16:26 18 Mar 09

you can get an ethernet card and install it in an empty pci slot on motherboard,

gazzaho 16:40 18 Mar 09

citadel is right and I would recommend buying one as using a USB cable connection puts extra demand on your computers CPU in order to access the internet, they're dirt cheap too, here's one for instance click here I use a Linksys WRT54GS router myself with Virgin broadband and haven't had any problems in the 5 or so years I've had it, my notebook, PS3 and Nintendo WII connect wirelessly with it as does my nieces notebook while my Xbox 360 connects via network cable.

Max Star 23:36 18 Mar 09

Thanks for your responses. I bought an ethernet card earlier for £6.99 from Maplins and installed it. That seems to have done the trick.

sunnystaines 09:32 19 Mar 09

I use a Linksys WAG54G it very good only router i have used so not sure if its the best. its signal can be picked up anywhere in the house or garden with good signal strength. The support line is a 24/7 free phone line that goes to america not one of those useless indian call centres.

cost about £50 may have a newer version out now.

Strawballs 22:23 19 Mar 09

I have the Linksys wrt54g and also used for 5yrs without fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced