Which Router

bristolgirl 12:31 15 Dec 06

Hi helpful people.
I'm asking a question on behalf of my brother who has recently moved home.
My brother wishes to go wireless as he has both a desktop and laptop and wishes to know which router would be the best. He has a 2mb connection.

Thanks!

bristolgirl 16:22 15 Dec 06

Well, I have done some research and think that the one I'm going to recommend to him is the Belkin Wireless Pre-N ADSL Router.

Please stop me if I'm doing the wrong thing!

SANAP 16:33 15 Dec 06

what about netgear??

sanap

FreeCell 16:34 15 Dec 06

There is nothing wrong with this router, but your brother will not be able to make use of the high-speed element unless he also buys a Pre-N card for his computer. If his laptop has built in wireless, as many do, then this is most unlikely to be anything other than 802.11g which operates at 54MB maximum speed. It wont make use of the Pre-N high speed.

Having said that this Belkin is well rated at giving out a strong signal even with a "normal" connection. Also consider the Belkin Wireless G+.

bristolgirl 17:30 15 Dec 06

I have no issues with Netgear. I use one myself and have no problems but I have read of people who have.

Thanks FreeCell for the advice about the Pre-N card. It's something I didn't know anything about. Still, that's nothing new!

bristolgirl 17:27 16 Dec 06

Just when I thought I had it resolved. My brother has come back to me and said that the Belkin was not suitable as he has his broadband via Cable.
Any suggestions? His new home has extremely thick walls too, if this relevant.

suburban train 17:51 16 Dec 06

I know I saw an advert in a newspaper for PC world selling routers via broadband using a cable supplier

possible ones are

D-link wireless router
Belkin G+MIMO
LINKSYS

VoG II 18:00 16 Dec 06

I have one of these click here with my cable broadband.

bristolgirl 07:31 19 Dec 06

Many thanks for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…