which router?

Sheila-Jo 01:15 08 Aug 05

I need a wireless router. What do you think of the Netgear DG834GT? Are there any better?
It is for a connection between 2 computers one floor apart.
My Broadband runs on a 2MB speed.
I also want to share a printer on the connection.
All help would be much appreciated.

Steve- 08:22 08 Aug 05

I have recenly purchased the DG834GUK after a series of wireless problems using Linksys units, so far it seems fine and apart from the web interface being a little sticky at first which was sorted with a firmware upgrade. Setup was easy with the wizard automatically detecting my ADSL parameters, all I had to do was tell it my logon name. To share a printer you will need a wirless printer sharer such as the Linksys WPS54GU2 click here.

Sheila-Jo 19:33 08 Aug 05

thanks, steve. any other recommendations?

Taff36 22:41 08 Aug 05

The router you mention is click here. There`s no reason why it shouldn`t work but you mention sharing a printer. You can`t just plug a printer into it and expect it to work from either computer. I think It needs a dedicated print server box to link the two.

If you just want to share a printer however you have the printer attached to one of the computers as normal and set it up on that computer as "shared". The other computer can send documents to it for printing as long as the other computer is on.

Here`s another thread on the forum asking a similar question click here Check out the "click here" links and make a few notes. Post back again if you have any questions.

Alf58 00:28 10 Aug 05

I use a Belkin Modem/Wifi router and am very happy with it. With Belkin you also get 24 hour free technical support.

Sheila-Jo 01:18 10 Aug 05

Thankyou for all your help. I have a much clearer idea of what I need. I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…