Which RJ45 cable

wobbler 20:18 29 Sep 09

I have my desktop directly connected to my wireless router, this in turn connect to my cable modem. Are these cable straight or crossover? If I introduce an fast ethernt switch between the router and the modem, so that the ethernet switch connects to the cable modem and the pc and wireless router connect to the switch RJ45 ports will I need straight or crossover cables? What I am trying to do is keep the PC connected to the cable modem without going thro the wireless router, but also keeping the wireless router connected to the cable modem.

Tech Guy 21:02 29 Sep 09

An easy way to remember is that like for like devices use cross-over and two different devices use straight through.

e.g. connect 2 switches = cross-over
switch 2 desktop = straight-through
modem 2 router = straight-through
router 2 desktop = straight-through
pc 2 pc = cross-over

Hope this helps

mgmcc 23:06 29 Sep 09

>>> What I am trying to do is keep the PC
>>> connected to the cable modem without going
>>> thro the wireless router, but also keeping the
>>> wireless router connected to the cable modem.

No can do!

You can only connect *ONE* device directly to the Cable Modem, whether it is a PC or a Router. The ISP only allocates a single IP address, so only the device which is connected first to the Cable Modem will get an IP address and be able to go online.

This is why a Router is required to enable multiple computers to connect simultaneously to the internet. The Router gets the single IP address allocated by the ISP and, in turn, it allocates IP addresses to the computers connected to it using one of the address ranges reserved for use in Local Area Networks, most commonly 192.168.x.x addresses. The Router then "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the Local Area Network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…