which to replace DVD or CDRW?

Mysticnas 02:04 24 Oct 03

Hiya all,

Just ordered a liteonit Dual DVDRW. Dual meaning it's DVDRW + & - compatible.

Anyway i currently have a CDRW and DVD both liteonit. The new DVDRW has faster CDRW speeds than my current one, but DVD read spead slower than my DVD.

Anyway, I want to know whether watching a DVD movie on a 12x DVD drive will make a difference from a 16x drive? Anyone know?

Also anyone got any experience with the 411S liteonit DVDRW?

Falkyrn 07:05 24 Oct 03

Movie DVD's are like music Cd's only meant to spin at one speed .... the speed factor in reading them is not an important factor.

My opinion would be replace the cdrw with the new drive which gives the better options

PS its a pretty good drive

Stuartli 08:30 24 Oct 03

You are best leaving a rewriter to do its basic task and use a CD or DVD-ROM drive to install software or listen to audio.

The life of a rewriter is comparatively short as manufacturers' operational life figures clearly indicate.

I've never had a CD or DVD-ROM drive pack up but have had to replace two rewriters in 18 months - and it wasn't because I used them for other than burning...:-)

Mysticnas 14:05 24 Oct 03

Falkyrn... do you have the drive? you mention it's a pretty good drive.

Quiller. 14:33 24 Oct 03

I agree with Falkyrn that playing the dvd should be 1 speed, except when you are fast forwarding, this may spin it up to 8x or 16x. Depending on the software.

Yet I also agree with Stuartli, in as much the burner should just be used for burning. Thus prolonging the life of the burner.

I had a similar problem in that I had 2x hard drives, a cdrw drive and a dvdrom.I then got a dvd ram. I decided to forgo the slave hard drive and have all 3 optical drives installed. I hardly used the spare drive, except for backup.

My current set up is

Primary master--hard drive

primary slave-- cdrw drive

secondary master--dvd ram

secondary slave--dvd rom

This seems to have given me the best option to do a variety of tasks.

The dvdram is only used to write DVDs

the cdrw is only used to write cdr's

and the dvd rom does the donkey work of installing software, ripping music to mp3's and other general tasks.

Stuartli 14:39 24 Oct 03

Very sensible approach and another advantage is that it is much cheaper to replace a CD or DVD-ROM drive than a rewriter, whether CD-RW or DVD type after you have got full use of it.

Stuartli 14:40 24 Oct 03

That should read "...after you have had full use out of it".

leo49 14:42 24 Oct 03

Or fit a PCI promise-type controller card and you can have all 3 optical drives whilst retaining your 2 HDDs.

Mysticnas 14:55 24 Oct 03

enought connections on my motherboard for upto 12 drives so thats not a problem.

I'm thinking i might cancel the order though after all this, as i don't really think i need one. Some change of plans shall we say...

And i could use the £80 elsewhere... hmmm

Falkyrn 16:25 24 Oct 03

No I don't personally have the drive but fitted one in a friends recently and it is giving excellent service.

Mysticnas 18:55 24 Oct 03

just ordered it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…