which refresh rate for monitor

Deano68 14:26 08 Jul 03

can anyone tell me what the best refresh rate is for a monitor? i'm running at 60 hertz at the mo' but i see it goes up to 85 hertz, is it better to have a high refresh rate of a low one?

Big Elf 14:32 08 Jul 03

If it's a CRT then the higher refresh rate the better as many people would see flickering at 60-75 hertz.

If it's a TFT monitor then 60 hertz is probably OK although the manual should state the optimal setting.

Lú-tzé 14:35 08 Jul 03

Higher refresh rates are best if they can be used by the monitor; the higher the refresh rate, the less the flicker is. If you use Win2k / xp you can tell it not to display rates which your monitor cannot handle so you will not do any damage.

Deano68 14:42 08 Jul 03

thanks for the quick reponse guys!

-pops- 14:42 08 Jul 03

I wouldn't be able to cope with a refresh rate as low as 60 Hz.

I don't normally suffer from headaches but I know that refresh rate would give me a headache within a few minutes of looking at the screen.

Don't you find that you see a flickering effect?

There are reasons not to have too high a refresh rate (I can't remember what they are) but I would certainly increase from your current setting.

For information, mine is set at 75 Hz. Even at that, some people claim to get headaches and visual disturbances.

Brian

Deano68 14:44 08 Jul 03

thnaks brian i have set it at 75 hz at the moment and will see how it goes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch