which refresh rate for monitor

Deano68 14:26 08 Jul 03

can anyone tell me what the best refresh rate is for a monitor? i'm running at 60 hertz at the mo' but i see it goes up to 85 hertz, is it better to have a high refresh rate of a low one?

Big Elf 14:32 08 Jul 03

If it's a CRT then the higher refresh rate the better as many people would see flickering at 60-75 hertz.

If it's a TFT monitor then 60 hertz is probably OK although the manual should state the optimal setting.

Lú-tzé 14:35 08 Jul 03

Higher refresh rates are best if they can be used by the monitor; the higher the refresh rate, the less the flicker is. If you use Win2k / xp you can tell it not to display rates which your monitor cannot handle so you will not do any damage.

Deano68 14:42 08 Jul 03

thanks for the quick reponse guys!

-pops- 14:42 08 Jul 03

I wouldn't be able to cope with a refresh rate as low as 60 Hz.

I don't normally suffer from headaches but I know that refresh rate would give me a headache within a few minutes of looking at the screen.

Don't you find that you see a flickering effect?

There are reasons not to have too high a refresh rate (I can't remember what they are) but I would certainly increase from your current setting.

For information, mine is set at 75 Hz. Even at that, some people claim to get headaches and visual disturbances.

Brian

Deano68 14:44 08 Jul 03

thnaks brian i have set it at 75 hz at the moment and will see how it goes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…