Which Is quickest TI restoration source?

Simsy 18:38 20 Apr 07

Folks,

I've been helping a mate who, last autumn, bought a PC for the first time, a laptop. It's an Asus, (can't remember which model exactly), with 1 gig RAM, 1.6Gig CPU, and an 80Gig HDD.

I've got it partitioned so the OS and Apps are on the 12 Gig C drive, and about 8 Gigs are used, with 4 gig free.

He recently had a bit of a hiccup and as he's a complete novice, and I wasn't available, he phoned ASUS, who had had him use the “restore” facility which took it back to factory settings!

Fortunately it didn't undo the partitioning I'd done so I was able to get it back to what it was like in February using a TrueImage I'd made. The image file was on one of the other partitions.

Now bearing in mind the spec of the machine, and the fact that the partiton in question is about 12 Gig with 8 used, (ie the image file is approx 4-5 gig), and the image was on the same physical HDD, I didn't expect it to whizz through... but it seemed to take quite a long time to restore, about 2 hours.

(For reference, if I restore my desktop machine C drive which has similar sizes, using a 1.3 gig CPU, 512RAM, but a source file on a differernt internal HDD, it take about 15-20 mins)

Now we've got the issue of it being a laptop, so I assume it's a slower HDD, and restoring from the same HDD obviously slows thing down, but even so...

I'm NOT seeking advice on the wisdom, or otherwise, of partitioning, and the practice of using the same HDD...

What I WOULD like an opinion on is...

What would you expect to be the quicker restoration source, another partition on the same HDD, (as we've used), a DVD, or an external HDD via USB2, (which he has).

(We both have True Image version 8)

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 10:03 21 Apr 07

No-one tempted to affer an opinion?

Regards,

Simsy

gudgulf 10:56 21 Apr 07

I've never tried using my Acronis to produce an image on a partition of the same drive as the operating system.Or tried that on a laptop.Nor have I used DVD since my "C" drive has 133GB of stuff on it.....a lot of DVDs!

I've always used either a second internal drive or my USB2 external drive.

I've used TI7 and more recently TI10.

What I can tell you is that restoring from the external drive using the Acronis bootable recovery disc takes a little over 4 hours.

If I use Acronis via a Bart PE bootable disc it takes around 2 hours....much quicker from the Windows environment provided by Bart PE

I don't think that the Acronis boot disc supports USB2 so the external drive option might not be as quick as you think.

The recovery time on the laptop does seem exceptionally slow but as you say this could be simply the laptops hard drive being of low performance.It might also be because you are reading and writing to the same disc,further taxing the hard drives performance.

probably the only way to solve your problem is to try the different options out.

Make backups to both DVD and the external drive using the bootable recovery disc and see how long it takes to build the image.......that will give you an approximate time to recover the image as it's about the same.

Use the method that proves fastest,but in any case I'd advise backing up to an external medium instead of ,or in addition to the backup on the partition for greater protection against hardware failure.

paulgeaf 11:18 21 Apr 07

Hmm. I am a long standing user of True Image and I can only say that it isn't always consistent!
It would seem to be dependant on a few things, I mean the length of time it takes...those things are, as far as I know,
The spec of machine, definitely and the RAM.
The source, as you say in your main question. I csan confirm that a hard rive source is much faster than recovery from a disc of any kind!
As for a partition on the same drive or another drive, I really don't think there is a difference although I would tend to think a different drive is going to be best and possibly quicker!
Although it recovers at the sector level I wondered before if the types of files affected the speed or not. My mind tells me this cannot be relevant because it is the sectors and not specifically the files that are being copied but it might be worth looking into.
So really I cannot help you speed things up.
Bear in mind though that every machine is different and not always for any known reason! Sometimes a recovery for my 4gb system partition on my 80Gb drive, restored from another HDD, can take one hour or two! Sometimes it takes twenty minutes!

Simsy 13:05 21 Apr 07

this restoration wasn't from the "bootable" CD, but from the reboot option off the HD.

I suspect that I'll only get the answer via trial and error, but I thought I'd seek opinions.

I'll hold off ticking for a day or so.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

stylehurst 13:59 21 Apr 07

From experience I've found the quickest restoration is from the Acronis secure zone. However, if you can start into Windows to access Acronis TI then a restoration from a USB HDD can also be very quick.
Surprised at the times quoted in the various responses, I have a 4Gbimage which can normally be restored in about 15 minutes.

johndrew 14:10 21 Apr 07

Whilst in the case you cite the use of ATI was satisfactory (if a bit slow) I question the wisdom of keeping the image on the same drive as the OS and data it is expected to protect. If the drive goes down having a backup is pointless if you can`t retrieve it. Surely an external drive or DVDs would be far safer.

On the subject of speed, it seems to me, it will take longer (probably substantially so) to move the image from one part of the drive to another. It can only be done in chunks via memory as the head has to locate, read and then relocate the data. If you use another media then the reading and writing are separate with only processor speed and buffer size to limit the transfer.

Simsy 14:46 21 Apr 07

Yes points noted, and all agreed with!

The image isn't used, (at all), for data backup... only for a system backup.

I was only enquiring as to which is likely to be the quickest.

Thanks all. It seems rather inconclusive and I'l shortly undertake a "trial" of all three methods and advise back.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac