Which programs should you leave when run scandisk?

Cedars369 13:58 12 Mar 04

Before you run Scandisk/defragmenter,i.e. Ctrl-Alt-Del.
There are some programs you MUST leave running.
Please can someone tell me which they are?

Thanks

Eric10 14:13 12 Mar 04

Explorer and Systray. The other way is to boot into Safe Mode and run Scandisk from there.

Diemmess 17:08 12 Mar 04

Defragging is helpful, but if you keep a tidy HD and reasonable housekeeping it shouldn't be necessary very often with normal use.

Scandisk is the one that may take ages if you have more than desktop running when you use it.

Scandisk in my view should be run as little as possible, unless demanded of you by Windows. It does put (a tiny) extra stress on a HD which may well be in top order anyway.

For me, after being too ambitious at times, frozen and having to reboot,- then Windows scolds me and tries to scandisk everything in sight. If I am in a hurry I press X to exit and all seems well. Just occasionally I sit back and let it get on with it.

Cedars369 12:39 15 Mar 04

Thanks Eric 10 and Diemmess for your replies.

I have tried Scandisk twice to date and each time it tells me it has tried 10 times and cannot run!

Any ideal what is happening and what should i try to do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…