Which programme to use to open files?

zafira 16:34 06 Jul 03

Am I the only person who needs some sort of reference to know which programme to use to open files. Sometimes if its not obvious I pick one and then get the message that you its unable to pen with that programme.

DieSse 16:47 06 Jul 03

To know what program you need to open a file, you need to know what type of file it is - only you will know that - if not you will have to ask the sender. All normal file types will be opened by windows anyway, so it's only the unusual ones that cause a problem

To get help on what type of file you have, you need the extension name a dn a look at a site such as click here or click here

Confab 17:40 06 Jul 03

Don't forget that if you double click on a file it should open automatically with the correct programme.

Gongoozler 18:40 06 Jul 03

Not necessarily so Confab. The file will open with the application it has been associated with. Once you know what application is suitable (and then only if that application is installed in your computer), you can make a permanent association by selecting a file of that type in Windows Explorer, then shift + right click and select "Open with..." in the dialog box, scroll down to the application, put a tick in the "Always use this program to open a file of this type", and click on OK. This applies to Windows 98, XP and ME may be slightly different.

Confab 18:46 06 Jul 03

Thanks for that but I was trying to make it simple - note the "should open automatically". To me the way zafira had worded the post was that he/she was always opening a program first and then trying to open a file through the program. I was just saying try to double click first :-)

Gongoozler 18:59 06 Jul 03

No problem Confab. It's always difficult on this forum to know how much information to give. Do we keep the response simple and risk only giving half an answer, or do we cover all the possibilities and overwhelm the originator with too much information. Occasionally we get it just right.

zafira 17:52 08 Jul 03

DieSse, Confab and Gongoozler:-it must be just unusual files 'cos most just open with a double click. The file type directory should help!
Zafira

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…