Which program is running?

maltose 18:26 25 Oct 07

At about 4pm every day my pc's HD starts "buzzing" and the pc slows up. I suspect something like an automatic update program or protection program is at fault but Ctrl/Alt/del indicates no other program, than my log on name, is running. Is there another way of detecting "hidden" programs?

brundle 20:14 25 Oct 07

Process Explorer ? click here

Though it depends on your OS, antivirus/antispyware software. If you have XP and its indexing service running (though I was always under the impression that it operated 24/7 when enabled) that could be the cause.

maltose 20:52 25 Oct 07

Thanks brundle I will use the explorer with interest next time the HD buzzes. Incidentally I use AVG virus and spyware

brundle 21:37 25 Oct 07

AVG free scans daily, the time can be changed or it can be switched off; perhaps that is the cause.

maltose 08:42 26 Oct 07

No, but thanks again, I time AVG for 6pm and have become used to that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…