Which processor Slot or PPGA

Ex plorer 18:23 02 Oct 06

Hi I have just bought a new but old MOBO of eBay.
I have a choice of type of processors Slot or PPGA.
As far as I can make out I can go for a 550 MHz Pent 3 which can operate at 100 MHz SB
I want to get the most out of it and processors are very cheap now so which should I go for.
I have the MOBO drivers and there seems to be plenty of updates online.
I have never over clocked a PC and would like to do so with this.
I have nothing to loose as it will only cost a few pounds to build.
The Board is a P6BAT-ME.
OS Win 98SE.

Ex

GaT7 20:32 02 Oct 06

You can use either as the P6BAT-Me supports both - it'll have these slots - click here for a pic.

Doing a search (at click here), I found a list of compatible CPUs for the P6BAT-Me with PCB v2.0 & BIOS v5.5: click here (scroll down if necessary).

Also see - Pentium III CPU Support List click here

I couldn't find info regarding the same with P6BAT-Me PCB v1.1 - only a whole load of download links click here.

Download the P6BAT-Me manual by clicking on the appropriate link at click here.

As you're overclocking, this may be of interest - "The benefits that the new generation of Coppermine Pentium III's offer is on-die L2 cache. This cache runs at the same speed as the CPU does, and is of a higher quality than off-die cache. Because on-die cache can run at the same speed as the rest of the processor, performance is increased - even when the on-die L2 cache is smaller than that of the older off-die cache. Because of this, you are able to overclock these processors with a higher success rate than the older generation of Pentium III's." - from click here. For another P3 overclock guide click here.

Good luck with it all. G

Ex plorer 21:47 02 Oct 06

Hi thank you for your time and effort in answering my thread its very much appreciated.
Should be fun with this project now I have this info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now