Which printer should I choose?

Pineman100 12:09 20 Feb 14

I need an inkjet printer that has the following capabilities, and would welcome any suggestions/experiences, please.

• Multi-function - print, scan, copy and (if poss.) fax

• Wi-fi

• Must be able to print photos direct from an iPad

• Scans can be emailed to someone direct from the printer, without having to go through the business of saving to the computer and attaching to an email.

All advice/experiences/comments gratefully welcomed please

Woolwell 12:34 20 Feb 14

Almost all modern wifi printers (Epson, Canon and HP) do what you want. For print from iPad you will need to use their app. Fairly sure that you need your PC on and an installed email client to be able to send emails direct from the scanner. It opens a window on the PC (or at least that is what happens on my Epson).

Woolwell 12:34 20 Feb 14

Add Brother to the list of makers.

iscanut 13:07 20 Feb 14

Not sure what your budget is but is this any good for you ?

click here

Pineman100 14:01 20 Feb 14

Many thanks Woolwell and iscanut2, for that useful information.

iscanut2 - yes, that printer is within budget. I'll take a close look at it, thanks.

Graphicool1 15:18 20 Feb 14

Hi Pineman100

Before you settle on a specific printer, check out how much the refills are gonna cost. Remember, this is where they make their money.

john bunyan 16:22 20 Feb 14

For photo printing on glossy paper, I like Canon ( I have an older MP 650), but the ink is quite expensive. For my grand daughter, a Uni undergraduate whose budget is tight, I bought her a Brother, from Cartridge World, along with a supply of their generic inks. You can look at the brands recommended and go for the one that suits you. I found , with the Brother, that wireless linking was not as satisfactory as wired.

Woolwell 16:31 20 Feb 14

I prefer Epson using their high yield cartridges.

Pineman100 16:47 20 Feb 14

Thanks again, everyone.

Having followed your advice and looked at several printers, it seems that the function which is the most difficult to find, nowadays, is faxing.

However, I have found this one which looks promising and has single-colour ink tanks.

Brother MFC-J4410DW Ultra Compact All-In-One

john bunyan 17:01 20 Feb 14

That looks good, but expensive compared, for example with this: Canon

I paid £70 for my grand daughter's Brother. If you need all the features, fine, but is it worth double the price of alternatives?

spuds 20:01 20 Feb 14

I have a number of different branded 4 in 1 printers, and would suggest that you look at the Brother range for cheap running cost and reliability.

On the Canon range I have the Pixma MX410 which I purchased from Staples for less than £50.00 on discount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017