Which to power up - RAM or CPU?

kged 14:41 23 Jan 08

A cry for help - I'm about to buy a new PC, and I have a shortlist of two:

click here

and

click here

The problem: the Chillblast processor is overclocked to 3GHz, with 4GB RAM. The Overclocker’s runs at 3.3GHz, with 2GB RAM - but if I upgrade the Overclockers machine to 4GB RAM, I lose a little on the overclocked Q6600, bringing it down to 3GHz, which is the same as the Chillblast offers. So my question is, which is preferable – an extra 2Gb of RAM, or an extra 0.3GHz on the processor speed? And is the overclocking of the Overclocker’s RAM to “850MHz+” a relevant consideration? As a rough guide, my computing priorities are:

Gaming (50%)

Surfing (30%)

Word processing (20%)

No video editing or photoshopping or anything like that, and little if any downloading of films & music. I need the counsel of clever people such as yourselves. Suggestions?

AlanHo 14:45 23 Jan 08

Depends on your operating system

If you intend running Vista 32 - it cannot access 4 GB of RAM anyway - so you may just as well stick to 2 GB.

kged 14:50 23 Jan 08

D'oh, I knew that and I'd forgotten. Cheers Alan, that clears things up nicely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…