which pc spec is beter

Crookie2 19:33 01 Mar 06

I used to have a pentium 4 3.4ghz processor with 1gb ddr. I had nothing but problems with it and after nearly 2months of pc world tring to fix it the decided to give me a better one,or so they say. I now have a pentium D 3.0 ghz and 1gb of ddr. I asked if it was slower because it was only a 3.0 but he said no the pentium D was a faster processor. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it seems a lot slower. Have i been conned?

SG Atlantis® 19:54 01 Mar 06

it's a dual core processor. you should not notice any speed difference with .4Ghz. what's the full spec of the systems?

Totally-braindead 19:57 01 Mar 06

I was waiting for someone to answer this as I've no knowledge of Intel processors. If you've got a dual processor upgrade then I would say thats worthwhile.

SG Atlantis® 20:00 01 Mar 06

click here

Explains them all.

Crookie2 20:06 01 Mar 06

the replacement is a Packard Bell IXTREAM GOLD MC2108
Intel Pentium D processor 830
2 x 512mb DDR2 - 533 memory
2 x 250 mb hard drives
Dvd rom
Dvd writer
card reader

That's all it says on the side of the box that i thinks relevant.

I didn't think there would be much of a differance either but pinnicle is a lot slower on this pc.

SG Atlantis® 20:16 01 Mar 06

It is a slower processor but it has 2 cores which means you can run multiple applications at once without any lag. As time goes on more software is being written to utilize multiple cores, ie multi threaded, I think the term is.

But seriously I can't see 400MHz speed difference being noticeable, what else are you doing on the system or have running? Have you removed the crap that system mfrs throw in?

007al 20:30 01 Mar 06

Was it bundled woth Norton anti-virus? This takes up a lot of system resource.
Download this click here and see how many programs start up with Windows.Just pick the ones you dont need to run all the time and disable them for starting when Windows starts up.Windows should run along nicely without keeping unwanted programs in check

goonerbill © ® 00:36 02 Mar 06

what i know about intel chips you could write in 6 foot letters on the back of a first class stamp, haven't used them since the original pentiums.

looking at SG Atlantis® link you have a much better CPU than what your other one had and as the others have mentioned, can't see why its running slower than your old one, 0.4gb on todays chips would not be really noticable.

recommend that you remove any progs that are installed that you dont need and then defrag the hard drive.

SG Atlantis® 08:25 02 Mar 06

click here run that too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos