Which PC to buy

twolf 15:45 24 Jul 07

Hi

I am graphic designer that works from home. I own two apple macs that are my main work stations. As I also do web development I currently test my projects on my PC laptop which is quite dated now. I'm looking for a PC desktop, doesn't have to be an amazing spec but must be capable of running Flash, dreamweaver, illustrator, photoshop with not problems. Here are two that I have narrowed it down to, and as a mac person, could do with some advise on which would be more suitable, specs as follows:

1. E 6420 INTEL CORE 2 DUO. Processor Speed:
6,420 MHz. 2gb ddr2 ram. Motherboard - SKT-775 CONROE1333-DVI S/V/L M-ATX. 256BIT IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 graphics card. 250gb hard drive

or

2. 4800+ DUAL CORE AM2 64 bit, Processor Speed:
4,800 MHz. 2gb ddr2 ram, 320bg hard drive. 256MB nvidia nforce 6100 IGP graphics card.

Thanks in advance

djbenny 16:40 24 Jul 07

i'd say the second optio, amd processors work a lot better than intel in my opinion and it's 64bit therefore more futureproof

skidzy 19:00 24 Jul 07

Whats the budget ?
We can then see whats out there if you would like further advice.

Firstly i would look for a better graphics card than in your 2 options.

Secondly do you have an external harddrive ? as you know,you need a big drive if you plan on saving your work.

Also what OS,XP or Vista ?

Without researching your programs,im unsure if they all will run on Vista at the moment.

twolf 09:01 25 Jul 07

Hi there, thanks for the replies. I don't have a budget as such, but as the PC will only be used occasionally I don't want to spend a fortune. Like I said, my work is all done on an apple mac, the PC will be there to test my web development and to carry out any necessary changes. It will also run some search engine optimization software that won't run on my Mac.

Regarding operating systems, I'm not too fussed either, although from what I've seen of Vista it does look a little closer to the Mac's OS which is good for me. Here are the 2 links to the PC's in question click here
click here

twolf 09:03 25 Jul 07

oops, I should have also mentioned, I won't need the PC for playing any games or running any 3d rendering software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…