Which P.C. is the best for hand drawn art work

ARTY DAN 19:45 20 Apr 03

I posted this question on the 17th of April I got two responses the first person who replied
misunderstood my question he thought I wanted to do my drawings on a computer I don't,my work is all done by hand,using coloured pencils and wax crayons,I am an artist producing highly detailed drawings I want to be able to scan drawings and produce prints these prints have to be of high quality.Speaking to various computer companies they all stress the importance of
having a good graphics card there are so many cards on the market it's difficult to choose the
right one also it would be useful to have images on the hard drive.Reading pc advisors top 10 buys in February and spring issues in the budget range 512mb was the standard and in the power pc range it was 120gb and 160gb.Most of my drawings are A3 I will probably continue to work on A3. I also want to design a website on which my prints can be sold. Another consideration is the monitor I have been looking at the CTX PR960F is this the best monitor for the job also what processor would best serve my needs taking in to account I will be working mainly with drawings. Speaking to a publisher he told me he uses an Epson 2100 for his prints his paintings are scanned at 300dpi he says the prints are very good. Is there an A3 scanner that will suit my needs. So now the question is how much do I need to spend to get good results is there a computer in the PC advisor top 10 power range or budget range that will suit my needs.

Pesala 20:09 20 Apr 03

A decent A3 scanner will cost more than the PC. Try this one: click here

Nothing much wrong with the CTX monitor, but most people say that TFT monitors are much easier on the eyes. A 17" TFT monitor will be not much more than a 19" CRT but has a similar work area.

I am not sure about graphics cards, but I don't think you need top of the range, as long as you have a DVI output.

Look here for some ideas for your website. Rather a nicely designed site, though some of the earleir scans that she did are too dark:

A Virtual Art Museum: click here

To create the website, look at Netobjects Fusion: click here

To resize the scans to make thumbnails and to convert from TIFF to JPG or PNG try Irfan View. Much handier than Photoshop for simple tasks: click here

AndySD 20:34 20 Apr 03

I have to agree with Pesala to some extent. The scanner is the most important thing for you. But with A3 prints to scan you will not need to use a high resolution or the images will be too big to use easily.

As for the PC well almost any of the budget or power PC's will cope well with this. Try to make sure you get a copy of the XP cd and not a restore disk though. You may also wish to increase the RAM up to 1024mb as image manipulation tends to rely on large amounts of RAM.I will disagree here though ...for graphics work a good 19" crt monitor is better than a tft ( I use the PR960F and love it) a good monitor is a must. Remember when working out your budget to make allowences for the software you will need. eg Photoshop or Photoshop Elements 2.0. or similar. click here The choice of image editing program will affect your final images.

wee eddie 21:17 20 Apr 03

this is much more important as the medium you use will affect the value of the product.

If you are running them off on an A3 Printer. Regardless of your skill as an artist and the desireability of the image. The print's value will be small, say comparable to one purchased in Athena reproductions.

If you are producing real prints and numbering the copies.

Then the scanner is the most important purchase you will need to make

goonerbill 11:01 21 Apr 03

heres a list of A3 size scanners

click here

list of A3 printers: inkjet

click here

lazer:

click here

Tenner 11:52 21 Apr 03

Much as I find it difficult to comment on a fellow contributer's comments, I should like to say that n a recent mag,( cannot find the thing at the moment ) a reader asked about monitors for image reproduction work, and the following reply was posted .... and I quote : .." any crt, the best being Sony trinitron and Mitsubishi diamondtron, even a budget crt monitor , is better than any LCD for critical imaging work, colour saturation and contrast ......"

It seems that TFT screens might be easier on the eye, but even the best won't do art/photo work - the colour isn't WYSISWG.

" any crt " Aldi might still have one of their recent 19" @ £120 in your local store.

Regards

-pops- 13:21 21 Apr 03

It has been said that A3 scanners are expensive - which is true so, unless you are doing loads and loads of scans, it may be more economical to take your artwork to a printshop and have it scanned professionally at whatever resolution you wish.

Take the advice of the man in the shop - he should know best and if he doesn't, you might get a scan for free.

You can then use at least part of the money you save on not buying the scanner and put it towards a better computer and/or A3 printer.

Brian

Pesala 14:56 21 Apr 03

Previous threads on TFT monitors show a lot of people singing the praises of TFT, though a few confirm what you say. I have a 17" LG 795FT Plus CRT monitor, and paid for the best quality to save my eyes, but still find it tiring.

Tenner 17:38 21 Apr 03

?dstow may add a comment when he returns to his studio tomorrow ( he's probably changing lightbulbs, or having nibbles with his elderly neighbours at the moment ! ;-) )

Trinitrons ? click here - no experience of them, though.

Regards

Diemmess 18:24 21 Apr 03

A few fundamentals...............
You are talking of scanning originals at A3 size?

So as already said, you are in a niche market and a heavy premium to pay for both best scanners and printers at that size.

Frankly I would put the monitor as least important provided it is suits your eyes. I'm happy with a 17" TFT.

A local commercial printer told me that 200 dpi is about the maximum the human eye can resolve so any good 17" or even 21" monitor is OK.

The software is much more important. Very intense and "Oh So Serious" Photographic club friends insist that Adobe Photoshop is the only way to go........ Less fanatical people would settle for Photoshop Elements, and I like Corel Photopaint. Choose the best compromise between price, the ease of use and facilities.

If you are not going to "edit" your masterpieces, then provided you calibrate your scanner to your printer those two gadgets are the ones to choose for the best you need.

Incidentally calibration is a pain for ordinary mortals who will offer a huge variety of files to print, but once you set each bit of hardware for a reliable reprofduction you will be able to recall thaose settings for the next prints.

Tenner 00:31 22 Apr 03

Found it - Digital Photo April 03.

The reader complained that the resulting print was too dark and too green. Reply " LCDs are great for resolution, but ..hard to see accuracy of contrast and saturation. Move your head afround exageratedly whilst looking at the image and you'll see what we mean. "

Not knocking, merely quoting for the benefit of clarification of my earlier contribution.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…