Which parts of AVG 8 Free do not work

wee eddie 17:35 06 May 08

So far:

Scheduling: on both the Virus Scan and the Updates. You can change the settings all you wish, it appears to make little difference.

Scan Notification Logo: The only thing that lets you know a Daily Scan is running is a berserk Hard Drive!

E-mail Scanning: There is no Pop-up notifying that e-mails are being Scanned and the Control Panel does not register that any mails have Arrived or been Scanned.

The Control Panel: all those Green Ticks are for decoration only!

I would be pleased if anyone can correct me with ways to address each of these matters.

p.s. I believe that the Cookie, part of the AV Scan disables itself after 30 days. I don't know if this is true.

Diemmess 19:15 06 May 08

I very recently installed AVG 8 with no trouble.

I think you'll find that the scanning of individual incoming files including email, is automatic.
I've just checked this with an old backup CD which has a copy of Happy.exe "Threat Detected!" was the message with details of the suspect file.
Although this program is well behaved and dosen't replicate or take over, it must have some viral like code and it stays under wraps!

Default settings are for regular scans which on a well ordered PC are not necessary..... well if done manually when you can leave the thing for a while!

I simply disabled regular scanning because I believe my system is clean and a pop-ups happen if there is any threat.

Technotiger 19:23 06 May 08

Everything in my AVG8 Free works perfectly - updated from AVG7.5 without problems. XP Home.

wee eddie 19:47 06 May 08

How do you "Know" it is checking your e-mails and don't tell me "because the Box is ticked" because those ticks are for decoration only.

I may be cynical but.

On 7.5 a box came up on the bottom right of my screen, telling me that e-mails had been checked. a similar box told me that Downloads had been downloaded.

I still get the Second but not the first.

When I click on the E-mail Scanner Logo a pop-up appears which says that the E-mail Scanner is active and beneath it are 3 lines of text. The 3rd being my e-mail program the first being the number of E-mails checked, which reads a permanent Zero, and the second is the number of threats which is also 0 as expected.

Zeppelyn 20:03 06 May 08

Im getting problems with updates, keeps saying "General Error - Not Enough Memory." A reinstall seems to have fixed this, I hope !

Technotiger 20:15 06 May 08

Mine shows almost different 'lines of text' than yours - only two lines of text, 1st - Email scanner scans incoming and outgoing Mails. 2nd - Email scanner is active. A box comes up at bottom-right, to tell me Updates have been successful. When I click on Update now, it show me what updates are available at the top-left of screen.

I get plenty of emails, never had any problems with nasties, so I trust AVG to do its job.

Who says the ticks are for decoration only?

Perhaps you have the paid for version, I am using AVG8 Free.

I have not had any problem at all, so I am quite happy. The last time I had a Virus was back in 2001 or 2002 I can't remember exactly. Since then I have become a little more computer savvy.

cocteau48 22:13 06 May 08

AVG 8.0 Free
Pros:
Auto uninstalled 7.5 and installed 8.0 - no problems.
Everything appears to be working fine.
Cons:
Slows down boot time due to extra items added to start menu.
Active X compatibility warnings (conflict with registry scripts written by other real time antispyware progs) are a nuisance but at least it shows that the AVG antipyware prog is doing its job.

TopCat® 00:40 07 May 08

My free AVG 8.0 updates always requests a reboot and the system tray icon has an exclamation mark until this is done! Only little niggle I find with it. TC.

anchor 12:36 07 May 08

TopCat®; I receive my daily updates without any need for a reboot.

On my incoming messages the following is on the bottom; it seems that scanning is taking place.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1418 - Release Date: 06/05/2008 17:17

On outgoing:

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date:
27/04/2008
09:39

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…